Need some quick upgrade advice.

FiZ

[H]ard|Gawd
I am trying to decide whether or not I should go with a X2 4600+ (maybe a 4800+) and a nVidia 7950GX2 or just the video card and not switching out from my 64 4000+. I am under the impression that I will see little to no difference in gaming performance (with current gen games that is) and soley will see a benefit in the CPU upgrade in multitasking. I can see my self enjoying encoding my huge music collection over to a lossy format while playing a game, but in all honesty is it worth my $260-350? I also don't like the idea of meddling with affinity and having compatibility issues with current games.

Should I just get the video card and hold off on the processor till a later date (when next gen games can take full use)?

FiZ said:
I am trying to decide whether or not I should go with a X2 4600+ (maybe a 4800+) and a nVidia 7950GX2 or just the video card and not switching out from my 64 4000+. I am under the impression that I will see little to no difference in gaming performance (with current gen games that is) and soley will see a benefit in the CPU upgrade in multitasking. I can see my self enjoying encoding my huge music collection over to a lossy format while playing a game, but in all honesty is it worth my $260-350? I also don't like the idea of meddling with affinity and having compatibility issues with current games.

Should I just get the video card and hold off on the processor till a later date (when next gen games can take full use)?

Have you concidered just getting another 7800 and running SLi?

n3g471v3 d3c1b3l said:
Have you concidered just getting another 7800 and running SLi?
I have, but I didn't purchase a SLi board. Also I like the ease of use that seems to come with setting up a 7950GX2.

I'd upgrade the cpu then. Your 7800 should be good enough for a while... now isn't the best time to upgrade for video cards, unless you are running something very old... (IMO)

ZodaEX said:
What game is the 4000+ not cutting it for?
Nothing yet, other than intense multitasking.

The reason I am looking to upgrade when the 7800 is still considered a 'decent' card is because I have upgradeitis :D . I am looking for the weakest link in my system and I see it as my video card, ie if I replace it with a top end video card I am going to see the greatest benefits right away.

Back