need some pc help

tunatime

Well...OK
ok so i have no clue what is going on. when i stated up my pc and got to windows i had some odd screen artifacts like really bad screen tearing and seeing doubles of things for a sec. so i restated pc and went to bois did the same thing there. so i shut it down and took out 1 6950s at a time and they both did the same thing no mater what slot i put them in. then i tried 1 stick of ram stock clocks and unplugged every thing but 1 gpu and mb same thing. so what the hell is going on? could it be the mb or since the pcie controller is on the cpu could the cpu be bad? this system has been up since dec 11 i know its not my tv as the cable box works fine and i tried all 3 hdmi inputs on it and they all work for the cable box but not pc. how woudl i test if its the mb or cpu?

system specs
asrock extreme 4
2 6950s
hx 1200psu

ok im re posting this in the folder part to see if any of yall have any incite to whats going on? no has a spare lga 2011 mb layign around do they?

Try a different graphics card - not the 2 that you already have, If you don't have one rty borrowing one from a friend or buying a really cheap low end card to test.

Artifacts are usually a sign that the card is on its way out, have you been folding or bitcoin mining on them?

Yep, a video card with artifacts is a definitely sign that it is on its last leg. Artifacts are caused by traces within the PCB or solder joints making a partial/weak connection.

Based on tunatime badge posted, I would say he has been folding with them.

If there is any warranty on them, I would try to RMA them. In the meantime, it is mostly likely time to buy a replacement wither temporarily to permanent.

If both cards are doing it no matter the slot then I'm leaning towards a bad video cable connector/cable. Try a DVI cable if you are using HDMI.
The odds of both cards failing at the same time is pretty slim.

If both cards are doing it no matter the slot then I'm leaning towards a bad video cable connector/cable. Try a DVI cable if you are using HDMI.
The odds of both cards failing at the same time is pretty slim.

Its not the cards they work fine only wife's pc and her 6950 works fine on her rig but not mine. I tried 3 HDMI cables in 3 ports on my TV over 3 cards and its not the TV as my Xbox and cable box work fine I never had any thing like this happen before that wasn't a bad gpu but the its not the gpus so the only other thing it could be is mb or CPU right? And yes this is my main folding rig

Could be the power supply too...

Ok, so both cards work in your wife's computer. Either card exhibits the same probs in your computer.

Now I understand, OP wasn't too clear to me.

If you are overclocked on the cpu then go back to stock. Also, since you are displaying on a TV I wonder if your timing is off for some reason. Have you updated vid drivers recently?

Reinstall video card drivers? Power supply shouldn't be it at least when video cards are idle at desktop.

It does it in the bios to that would rule out the drivers. And I allrady went back to stock clocks, remounted my wb and CPU and tried a old 500w psu same thing. Just for fun I tried running some bench marks and every few secs it looked like ccc was changing the scaling like when you change the underscalling setting in the drivers and was seeing what looked like 2 frames at a time.

And what ever is going on is form the pc as I tried my wife's monitor via dvi and same thing. So I have no clue what's going on other then it has to be the CPU or mb?

4.8at 1.39v core if y'all think its the mb I'll have to wait a few weeks to I can buy a new one:(

Hmmm, I wonder how long it will take my 5.0Ghz at 1.58v OC to kill my CPU or MB then.

Last edited:
If you have another CPU around you could test I'd do that first, but I still think it's more likely the issue is with the MB.

Hmmm, I wonder how long it will take my 5.0Ghz at 1.58v OC to kill my CPU or MB then.

wow that's a lot of v core what kind of cooling you ruining? i could run 5ghz at 1.45 and thought that was to high, i sent a email to asrock will see how it goes.

wow that's a lot of v core what kind of cooling you ruining? i could run 5ghz at 1.45 and thought that was to high, i sent a email to asrock will see how it goes.

In my signature mate :) it's a dedicated CPU loop. I also use liquid metal thermal paste (coollaboratory liquid ultra).

I do hope you mean "running" though lol, the cooling loop shouldn't get ruined by what I am doing.

Picture of my system here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1711717

Last edited:
Back