Need some P5N-E SLI help - What am I doing wrong?

gamejunkie

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
143
Alright, I've just switched over to c2d after overclocking on the 939 platform for a while and I'm just having some trouble. I'm not really familiar with how these Intel clocks work. I have some of the Buffalo Firestix DDR800 ram, an e4300, and the P5N-E SLI board, and I would really like to get over 3ghz. I'm running my the chip, northbridge, and video card under water cooling, so I should be able to get this easy, right?

For some reason I have the vcore set to 1.5v, but cpuz shows it at 1.213v in Windows.

Do I run linked or unlinked fro the memory clock mode?

What is this QDR? Is it just the FSB quadrupled?

When the memory and processor are linked, the ram runs at 2x the FSB, right?

Do all DDR2 memory modules run at 2T? I remember that being a no no with DDR.

If you guys could just give me a couple tips to get me started in the right direction I would be very appreciative.
 
yes, its just 4x the fsb. so 1600 would be a 400
set your memory to 2T... this board doesnt like 1T
I have NO idea why you are getting that bad of vdrop... either cpuz is reporting incorrectly or it sounds like you have a bad board/power supply
oh, and set it to unlinked for ram/cpu
 
Thanks for the reply.

I just installed the monitoring software from Asus and it's giving me correct readings. I now have the vcore at 1.55v and under orthos load it's dropping to about 1.49v. Is this normal?

Is there a sweet spot for these e4300s? Right now I have it running at 1200 QDR, but I've tried 1332 and up and I can't even post.

What voltage should I run the northbridge at?
 
try running with the FSB set at 1334 and the ram at 667, auto voltages, auto timings.

just to see if you can get 'er into windows. the northbridge laughs at the measely 333mhz FSB speed and has worked for both my 805D and at present, my e4300.

it's basically a one move overclock. :D

if you haven't already, strip down your rig so you are running with the bare essentials too. things can get a little finicky if you don't. so... board, cpu, ram, (1) video card, hdd, dvd, keyboard would be all you need to prove your speed and stability.

once you get it stablized @ 3.0 (FSB 1334, DRAM 667) start upping the speed on your ram to where you'd like it to run at; although, the 1:1 ratio is really ideal, IMO.

no voltage increases were needed for me when bringing the speed to 3.0Ghz. if you'd like to get your e4300 running faster than 3.0ghz, you'll have to wait for a couple more responses or just keep playing with it. i've seen a few folks lurkin around here with their e4300s @ 3.5Ghz+. there's a great thread on anandtech's forums about exactly what you're attempting. for lack of cut and paste, type in 'P5N-E SLI anandtech' and i'm sure it'll be near the top of the search. check page 92 of that thread for sure.

good luck! :)



this motherboard has an infamous level of vdroop, as a heads up. hasn't affected me yet?
 
Something's wrong with this setup... Once I set the FSB to 1334 and save the settings the system just hangs and won't restart. I did everything you just mentioned in the previous post and it won't boot. :(

Oh yeah, I did the pencil vdrop mod to the motherboard, so I'm rock stable at whatever voltage I set it at.

Either the chip or motherboard totally blow, and I'm starting to think it's a little of both...
 
Theres a bunch of holes in the fsb settings on this board. If you can't get it to post at a certain fsb then up it by an odd number or lower it by an odd number. My boards got a weird vdroop problem too. I have it set at 1.375, but under load it raises to 1.424 and at idle stays at 1.24v. Not sure as to why it does this, but I'm thinking of starting a thread to ask about it. IMHO, the e4300 and p5n-e are a perfect combination. They seem to overclock well together and create a sturdy base for a nice system..
 
My e6600 + p5n-e sli do the same thing (1.213 in CPUZ --> 1.424 in CPUZ under load). i think the asus probe software shows 1.42v though, regardless.
 
Yes, the board is infamous for vdroop. In short:

1) use the black memory slots
2) get ACTIVE cooling for the northbridge (which you have, just saying)
3) run memory unlinked
4) run the memory at 2T, almost nobody can get 1T to work on the p5n-e sli
5) lastly, read this thread
 
yes, its just 4x the fsb. so 1600 would be a 400
set your memory to 2T... this board doesnt like 1T
I have NO idea why you are getting that bad of vdrop... either cpuz is reporting incorrectly or it sounds like you have a bad board/power supply
oh, and set it to unlinked for ram/cpu

it's something with cpuz and these core2duos. Although not the same for everyone, with 3 different e6400's and various ds3's and a p5b vanilla, after I pass 1.44v, it'll go to a static 1.213v value. Just use aisuite if there is one for p5n and it should show triple digit vcore interval
 
For some reason I have the vcore set to 1.5v, but cpuz shows it at 1.213v in Windows.
what version are you using? 1.39 should show it correctly (at least it does for me but I'm only running 1.328V ).
Either that or its' something tod do with C1E/EIST kicking in.
 
what version are you using? 1.39 should show it correctly (at least it does for me but I'm only running 1.328V ).
Either that or its' something tod do with C1E/EIST kicking in.

like I said, the problem shows when you exceed usually voltage of 1.44v.
 
I run 4-4-4-12-1T just fine on this board..just can't get stable above 3.3GHz (haven't tried dropping to 8x multi yet)
 
I also run my ram at 4-4-4-12 1T with no problems, but my comp is only stable at 3.2Ghz.

Also, in CPU-Z, my voltage reads only like 1.47v (from like 1.5v in the bios) drops to 1.29v-ish under load. How accurate is that?
 
i didn't have any luck at all running unlinked

had much better luck with sync mode

no stability testing but here's what i got at 1.55 w/ vdroop to ???

here's the vdroop mod if anybody needs it
http://sg.vr-zone.com/?i=4450&s=12
i haven't done it yet

35xs1.jpg
 
I also run my ram at 4-4-4-12 1T with no problems, but my comp is only stable at 3.2Ghz.

Also, in CPU-Z, my voltage reads only like 1.47v (from like 1.5v in the bios) drops to 1.29v-ish under load. How accurate is that?

probably not at all

best thing to do is get a multi-meter and measure it on board while it's at idle and load

check that link i posted
 
Back
Top