• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need Some New Speakers

I suppose the infinity out of those... any else? Stores perhaps?

Yeah, I like those. But will I need anything else for them like an amplifier, or do you think they're all powered an amplifier in the subwoofer? There aren't many stores around that do high-end audio gear near me; although there is one, Richer Sounds, that comes to mind.
 
You'll definitely need an amp for all of those home theater speaker you've linked, the subs have their own amplifier but it's not for amplifying the satellites.

With any luck you might be able to mount the surrounds on the wall behind your desk, or you could invest in a set of cheapie stands instead.

Here are a coupla wall mounts that *might* work:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Home-Cinema-H...ryZ14991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Spe...ryZ14991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 
I think i'll just go w/ the z5500's as well...

I'll ask about how to setup and home theater/entertainment center another time/my own thread once my house is finished building :D
 
hmmmm. I will find you something soon. Search Audiogon or whatever it is there in the UK for used receivers and I will figure out the best small British speaker you might be able to use and add to later on.

Hint, it isn't one which on you list lol.

The Swans are not large. The main reason I hate the Z5500s or ANY PC 5.1 is that there isn't ANY MIDRANGE which is so crucial for good sound.
Hint, it isn't one which on you list lol.
 
hmmmm. I will find you something soon. Search Audiogon or whatever it is there in the UK for used receivers and I will figure out the best small British speaker you might be able to use and add to later on.

Hint, it isn't one which on you list lol.

The Swans are not large. The main reason I hate the Z5500s or ANY PC 5.1 is that there isn't ANY MIDRANGE which is so crucial for good sound.
Hint, it isn't one which on you list lol.

There is still midrange...Just not a dedicated mid so a lack of midbass. The satelites are not going to "bump" but at least they don't have "harsh" tweeters either!

I was looking at some B&W bookshelves but they wre about $450 for 2 of the highend series used on ebay. If I need something more than z5500 I'm going to go all out!
 
There is still midrange...Just not a dedicated mid so a lack of midbass. The satelites are not going to "bump" but at least they don't have "harsh" tweeters either!

I was looking at some B&W bookshelves but they wre about $450 for 2 of the highend series used on ebay. If I need something more than z5500 I'm going to go all out!

I'm telling you... those BW speakers sure pack a wallop to the wallet!
 
You'll definitely need an amp for all of those home theater speaker you've linked, the subs have their own amplifier but it's not for amplifying the satellites.

With any luck you might be able to mount the surrounds on the wall behind your desk, or you could invest in a set of cheapie stands instead.

Here are a coupla wall mounts that *might* work:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Home-Cinema-H...ryZ14991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Spe...ryZ14991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thank you for the speaker mount suggestions. I suppose I could consider mounting the front speakers on the wall; however, I don't know how I'd position the rear speakers (if I end up making a 5.1 setup) since my room won't really cater for speaker stands. I could have the stands just behind me, but they'd get in the way really badly because my bedroom isn't the biggest room in the world.

It's annoying about those home theatre setups I found on ebay. Those little bookshelves in that Infinity set are nice and small--pitty it'll end up costing about £400+ at least after an amplifier is added to the mix.

hmmmm. I will find you something soon. Search Audiogon or whatever it is there in the UK for used receivers and I will figure out the best small British speaker you might be able to use and add to later on.

Hint, it isn't one which on you list lol.

The Swans are not large. The main reason I hate the Z5500s or ANY PC 5.1 is that there isn't ANY MIDRANGE which is so crucial for good sound.
Hint, it isn't one which on you list lol.

That would be great, thank you. I really appreciate everyone's dedication, I thought you would've given up with me by now! I'll have a look and see what I can find, but I don't think, if I get bookshelves, I'll be able to have 4 of them and a centre channel because they won't all fit on my desk.
 
suggestions on a "cheap" amp? and how difficult would it be to wire all this stuff up to a laptop? I know, I'm an audio newber:D
You can find a good used integrated amp or receiver on eBay for about $100. As for connecting a pair of speakers + amp/receiver to your PC/laptop, all you need is a cable like this:



Connect the RCA jacks to any L/R inputs on the amp/receiver (TV, CD, DVD, SAT, Tape, etc.) then connect the single end to the speaker or headphone port on your PC/laptop. The speakers are connected to the amp/receiver's speaker terminals and that's all there is to it! This kind of setup will destroy any computer speaker system. Look in the "Post your speaker setup PICS" thread for tons of ideas.
 
Yeah, I like those. But will I need anything else for them like an amplifier, or do you think they're all powered an amplifier in the subwoofer? There aren't many stores around that do high-end audio gear near me; although there is one, Richer Sounds, that comes to mind.

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=KEF-Q5-DK-APPLE

Why don't you get something from KEF? The one I just posted came from Richer Sounds and is a really good deal considering the price range you were asking about and searching for on ebay.
 
http://www.richersounds.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=KEF-Q5-DK-APPLE

Why don't you get something from KEF? The one I just posted came from Richer Sounds and is a really good deal considering the price range you were asking about and searching for on ebay.

Mmm, they look nice. However, bearing in mind I'd have to factor in the price of an amplifier, it'll be nearing £350-£400, right? Also, I don't really have anywhere for floorstanding speakers go. :(

Thank you for the suggestion, though.

EDIT: Right, so unfortunately I'm ruling out bookshelves or anything larger because I really don't have the space. Therefore, I'm going to have to go with a 5.1 setup. What do you think of these 3:

Tannoy EFX

KEF KHT1005

Mordaunt Short Genie
 
Mansize,

I would go KEF.... they have the coaxial driver system (meaning tweeter is in the middle of the midrange woofer). This is a good way to get good imaging and balance out some of the problems inherent in making 2 way designs.
 
Back
Top