Need some Linux network help

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
I have a couple of computers on my network that I don't want connected to the Internet. I accomplish this by putting them in different subnet with no gateway. The other computers have 2 NICs, one assigned IP by DHCP and the other manually assigned the same subnet as the 2 non Internet computers. This works just fine in Windows. I can access both subnets via Windows Explorer and transfer files between the two and also use other resources such as Printers, etc.

But not so in Ubuntu-MATE. I have connectivity, I can ping the two computers and I can remote into them using Remmina. But they do not show up in Caja.

Anybody know how to fix this?

btw: I'm not using a VPN because I have 2 clusters of computers using one physical connection between routers so I have no way to segregate the VPN connections per computer.

Thanks

Post /etc/networking/interfaces from non-working machines, and explain precisely how the windows computers are configured, with subnets on for both nics.

This is actually in etc/network

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

the 2 computers not connected to the Internet are 192.168.1.xx. The ones that are are 192.168.10.xx.

I think I've found the solution. I put them both in the 192.168.10.xx subnet and deleted the gateway. This seems to have accomplished what I need. I can now access them from Ubuntu. Just another transitioning glitch to overcome.

As a side note, I was really surprised at how easy it was to remote into a Windows computer from Ubuntu. The last time I went down this path I wasn't able to do it at all.

This is actually in etc/network

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

the 2 computers not connected to the Internet are 192.168.1.xx. The ones that are are 192.168.10.xx.

I think I've found the solution. I put them both in the 192.168.10.xx subnet and deleted the gateway. This seems to have accomplished what I need. I can now access them from Ubuntu. Just another transitioning glitch to overcome.

As a side note, I was really surprised at how easy it was to remote into a Windows computer from Ubuntu. The last time I went down this path I wasn't able to do it at all.

I'm having less issues sharing drives/folders on my home network using Linux than Windows 10 to my daughters WDTV. I don't know what it is, the share from the Windows machine worked fine the last time I used the WDTV, now it refuses to connect! But the shares on the Linux machine work just fine.

i do admit, I haven't put a lot of work into diagnosis as of yet with the exception of trying to delete and reconnect the share from the WDTV.

Remmina is great software.

Same here. It really p*sses me off when Windows doesn't show a computer on the network in Explorer but yet I can ping it, map to it using it's name and even remote into it. As far as my current problem, after putting these computer on the main subnet, all is well.

Back