• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need some input please

Lok

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 3, 2006
Messages
334
I've decided I'd like to upgrade my current video card (Evga 8800GT SuperClocked) to an ATi 4890 (the stock XFX one). I'm running an Intel E8500 at stock clock on an ASUS P5Q Pro mobo with 4GB of DDR2-1000 RAM. I game almost all the time at 1680x1050 (unless it's something older that doesn't support that high of a res at which point I try to play in windowed mode). I also have a Corsair TX750 PSU so there's plenty of power for it. I plan on doing a full format/reinstall of XP as I'm also going to get a WD 300GB Velociraptor as well. I guess my main question is should I OC my processor any and if so by how much? I know a 4890 would be a bit of an overkill but prices are so sweet right now it's hard to resist. Any input would be very appreciated and if I missed any details feel free to ask. Thanks :D
 
yes you should overclock your processor.. at stock the e8500 wont bottleneck the HD4890.. but you will get a nice performance boost out of the e8500 anyways and it overclocks quite nicely.. sure the HD4890 is overkill.. but ill bet 50 bucks you will want to upgrade to a 24" or 30" monitor after you use it.. :p
 
Yea I was thinking of maybe OC'ing it to 3.6. I have a Xigmatek cooler if that helps any :)
 
You should OC your CPU as far as you comfortably can. Not only will it help in games, but also general computing. The only time i can't recommend oc'ing is if the computer has strict thermal of power limits. Plus, it's fun.
 
Back
Top