need some input on a intel system for my son.

dogbyte_13

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
1,486
I wanna build my son a new gaming PC probably the end of January or beginning of February, i was wondering at the point should i get him a i5 2500k or wait another month or so and see how ivy bridge pans out? The reason is because the machine has to last him 3 years since that's when i usually get him a new system.
 
An i5 will last him quite a while. I think he will be happy with an i5 for quite some time, and that way if you have the system ready, you can always upgrade to Ivy whenever you are ready. The i5 will hold its value for quite some time as well, unelss Ivy is right about the same price.
 
If you are not going to build until the end of January or maybe February, I would just wait for Ivy Bridge. He would probably have a little better system for roughly the same price all for the sake of waiting 2-3 months.

I once made the mistake of building a month before new cpu's were coming out and I regret it to this day.
 
Not sure why you are asking this now, if you have no intention of buying until Jan or Feb - but, by Jan or Feb we should hopefully at least have a release date for IB, so you'd be able to judge just how much longer you'd have to wait, possibly along with some benchmarks to help make the decision. Right now, all anyone can do is guess.
 
ivy bridge won't be out for a while. if you're getting this as a christmas gift then don't wait. get a 2500k/2600k now, besides, performance from ivy bridge willy only be 20% faster. it's just a marginal improvement, not exactly a new generation like lga 1366 was from lga 775.
 
Ask again mid January, though I imagine I'd recommend waiting for IB.
 
why not buy it now and give it to him as a xmas present?

but if ur gonna build it next year mightaswell wait for ivy bridge
 
According to Anandtech Ivy Bridge isn't expected to release until on into around Q2 of 2012 sometime so don't expect anything in the next month or two.
 
Back
Top