need some help

lurch519

n00b
not sure if this is the right place to start this thread, but i have a new system im putting together and am having some problems with the ram

new system is as follows

a64 3000+
asus a8n sli
maxtor 250 gb sata hd
2x512mb k-byte 3200 ram
old ati raedon all in wonder pci 32 meg vid card that i am using till i can get a new pci e vid card

my problem is such

when i run memtest on the new system, in less than 15 minutes i have thousands of errors

when i run memtest on the old system, i can run it for 30+ hours with not a single error

old system is as follows

amd 1900+ @ stock 1.6
asus a7v8x-x mobo
40 gig hd
2x 512 mb kbyte 3200 ram (same sticks as above, just using them in this system till i can figure out what the problem with the new one is)
same vid card as above as well

any help on this would be greatly appreciated.[/COLOR]

So if you put both new sticks in the old system and run memtest, they are fine?

I would suggest trying them one at a time in the new system. If both sticks give you errors, my bet is either the mobo or the PSU. By the way, what PSU are you using?

yes, i ran memtest on both sticks in the old system at the same time with absolutely no errors for just over 30 hours yesterday

i just got a shiny new ultra x connect 500 watt powersupply, i havent tried one at a time, but maybe ill give it a try tonight b4 i go to bed

Hate to break it to you, but the Ultra has somewhat of a bad reputation around here. Try the sticks one at a time, also disconnect all unnecessary cards and drives. If that works, then its most likely the PSU.

ahh but the psu's looked so nice when i first saw them, how could somebody ruin an idea as good as that

ok, tried sticks one at a time. stick two ran for 8 hours overnight with absolutely no errors. stick 2 ran for 00:02:00. that is 2 minutes exactly, with 2517 errors. (i didnt think it would really make a difference if i ran that one for 8 hours.

but, like i said, on the old system, i ran both sticks at the same exact time with 0 errors.

what gives??????????????

lurch519 said:
ok, tried sticks one at a time. stick two ran for 8 hours overnight with absolutely no errors. stick 2 ran for 00:02:00. that is 2 minutes exactly, with 2517 errors. (i didnt think it would really make a difference if i ran that one for 8 hours.

but, like i said, on the old system, i ran both sticks at the same exact time with 0 errors.

what gives??????????????

Did you use different slots to test them? Also try loosening the timings and upping the voltage a bit on the stick that tested bad, and test it again.

no i didnt try different slots, as the a8n-sli, from what i understand, will only recognize a single stick of ram on the b1 slot only, as referenced from the users manual.

i know its not "quality ram", but i just got it and i dont want to spend any more than i have to to get this thing working right.

arrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. so frustrating

Back