• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need some help...

The Cobra

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 19, 2003
Messages
4,119
Hi folks,

A friend of mine is selling his COre i7-950 and Intel x58 Extreme DX58SO motherboard. He told me that he would sell it to me for $500. I know it would be a lateral upgrade for me for the most part, I was just thinking of the 1366 socket that he has. Am I gonna get longer life out of the 1366 vs the 1156 that I currently have? WOuld I be able to get higher overclocks out of the i7-950 vs the 860?

THx for your help...
 
I've heard that 1156 is supposed to last longer, but I think the verdict is still out on the longevity of current Intel platforms. At the same time, the X58 platform is extremely powerful, and yeah you should be able to squeeze more MHz out of the 950. When you buy his stuff, sell yours and get a good portion of your money back :)
 
THat is what I am thining of doing. I could def recoup most of the money from the sale of the 860 and motherboard..

More opinions please...
 
I'd take the bundle. I was under the impression that 1366 would have the longer legs as the hexacores are out for 1366 already
 
What are you using the pc for? The 860 is probably more than enough pc then you need at the moment. You will probably get more mhz out of the 950 but why bother? Your only OCing your 860 to 3ghz as per your sig. I don't think you would see any real world differences for average pc/gaming usage.
 
The Intel X58 board isn't that great of a motherboard, so if you really want to go LGA1366/X58, you'd be better off just buying a 920 or 930 and a board like the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R. It would cost you about the same and you'd have a better-overclocking and more fully-featured motherboard. I also doubt that you'd see significantly better overclocks from a 950 than from a 920 or 930.

Another option would be to see if you can convince him to sell you just the CPU, and then pair that with a different motherboard. But in my opinion, the Intel board kind of kills the deal.
 
An update for you folks. I thought the processor was an i7-950. It is an i7-965EE!!!! I think I will def jump on that mb and proc for $500. Too good of a deal to turn down...

Opinions?
 
500 I would have to definately jump, and the intel board will not be that bad actually they are kinda bare bones alot of them, but all you can do is look and see what its got for ocing. Nice deal actually on that.
 
The reviews that I have read about the board have been hit or miss. Some love it, some hate it. Even though my 860 is serving me very good so far for the last 3 months, this 965-EE is looking very sweet. It will draw a bit more power, but I bet I could get it to crack 4GHz with proper cooling. I will look into a new motherboard, but the intel one will serve me just fine until I get a new one.
 
Actually, unless you experience a true difficulty with the board, that might be an excellent lateral change - it has the same memory dimm slots you currently have.
I've worked with the extreme chips, and you can likely go 4.0 + depending on your cooling. One word of advice (though it's probably not needed) - when you get it from him don't unseat the chip. Since he likely installed it new, it's probably never been moved from place. The most damaging (and uncovered by warranty) thing is bent pins. It is very easy to happen, but obviously won't be an issue if the chip never leaves the socket except to go to a new motherboard.
It looks like you have excellent gear in general by your signature, so this would be an upgrade that matches the rest of your system. Definitely get better cooling though - no point getting a nice cherry picked chip like that and not being able take advantage due to heat issues.
Also what are you planning to sell your current chip and board for, and how old are they? I know a few people on the market for upgrades.
 
Actually, unless you experience a true difficulty with the board, that might be an excellent lateral change - it has the same memory dimm slots you currently have.
I've worked with the extreme chips, and you can likely go 4.0 + depending on your cooling. One word of advice (though it's probably not needed) - when you get it from him don't unseat the chip. Since he likely installed it new, it's probably never been moved from place. The most damaging (and uncovered by warranty) thing is bent pins. It is very easy to happen, but obviously won't be an issue if the chip never leaves the socket except to go to a new motherboard.
It looks like you have excellent gear in general by your signature, so this would be an upgrade that matches the rest of your system. Definitely get better cooling though - no point getting a nice cherry picked chip like that and not being able take advantage due to heat issues.
Also what are you planning to sell your current chip and board for, and how old are they? I know a few people on the market for upgrades.

The memory looks like the only issue I will have. Even though the memory is DDR3-1600 in my current rig, I believe it will only support the triple channel ram and not the DDR-3-1600 that I currently use.

I will def sell the Core i7-860 and Asus mb. They are less then 3 months old bought brandnew from Microcenter. No issues whatsoever.

It will be a lateral upgrade for me as I have stated, but I don't really care about that. I just want to be able to get a nice overclock from the 965EE. We shall see...

*EDIT* I run a Coolermaster V8. I should not have to upgrade that item...
 
Last edited:
With that CPU, it's definitely worth it. If I were you, I'd sell off the board and then buy something better.
 
The memory shouldn't be an issue - that board only has 4 dimm slots, I don't think it does 3 channel ram (I could be wrong though, I didn't look too deeply into the board).
I don't know air cooling - but I'll trust you did your homework on your cooler.
The extreme chips are really easy to overclock. If I recall, the 965 was a CO chip, but all the exteme line gets cherry picked for their higher OC tolerences before adding the extra cache and unlocking the multiplier. The CO's never OC'd as high as the DO's, but 4.0 was pretty easy with those chips, and quite a few got well beyond that (I don't tend to climb as high for everyday OC's).
If you don't mind my asking, do you have a selling price in mind yet? Obviously, you'll wait until your new system is in place before selling your old board/cpu, but this way I can give a heads up to my friends if it is a good deal.
 
the i7-980x is a six core processor. The 1366 LGA is shared with the Xeon processors that you mainly find in servers. That is why the 1366 may have a longer lifespan then the 1156...
 
Back
Top