Need some help with XtremeGamer front panel connections

EET

Limp Gawd
So, I have an X-Fi XtremeGamer, and it works great, but I'm in a bit of a bind when it comes to front panel audio. The X-Fi has the standardized connection, like many cases have, where it's a 2x5 pin keyed connector (dubbed Intel HD Front Panel Audio standard header in the manual). I have a Silverstone TJ06, and for some freakish reason they didn't put one of these connectors on the front panel audio connector, though it has them for USB and Firewire. Here is a layout of the header pins on the card:
pins.jpg

The pins go something like this:
Pin
Signal Name

Description
PORT 1L

Analog Port 1 - left channel (Microphone)
GND

Ground
PORT 1R

Analog Port 1 - right channel (Microphone)
PRESENCE#

Active low signal that signals BIOS that an Intel HD Audio dongle is connected to the analog header. PRESENCE# = 0 when an Intel HD Audio dongle is connected
PORT 2R

Analog Port 2 - right channel (Headphone)
SENSE1_RETURN

Jack detection return for front panel (JACK1)
SENSE_SEND

Jack detection sense line from the Intel HD Audio CODEC jack detection resistor network
KEY

Connector Key (no electrical connection)
PORT 2L

Analog Port 2 - left channel (Headphone)
SENSE2_RETURN

Jack detection return for front panel (JACK2)

The front panel connections for my case are nothing like this. It's not a standardized connector, rather individual connections. They read like:
Pin
Signal Name
L OUT

R OUT

L RET

R RET

MIC IN

MIC POWER

GROUND

So this is my dilemma. I don't know how to connect half of the connectors. Has anyone else run into this? I'm going to e-mail Creative and see if they have any pointers on the matter :p

You are trying to connect an AC97 front audio connector to an Intel HD audio port. It won't fully work. You will likely be able to get audio, but forget the mic, and forget the auto-jack sense feature.

Put front panel GROUND wire to Pin 2
Put front panel L OUT wire to Pin 9
Put front panel R OUT wire to Pin 5

Don't worry about connecting anything else as it won't make a difference or could make things go bad.

Back