Need some help with WC setup

kyuusei

n00b
I've been running my old set layout for a while, but I'll soon be upgrading my videocard to something beefier so I need to reevaluate my WC setup. Currently it's:

Res -> Pump (MCP350 with Inlet Mod) -> MCW60 -> 80mm Rad -> Apogee GT -> Res

I'm thinking about adding an extra 80mm Rad, and yes it is the only requirement I have, everything must be in the case and I don't feel like chopping it up to fit a 120. So with an extra 80mm Rad I'm thinking of setting it up like:

MCW60 -> 80mm Rad​
Res -> Pump -> Y Split - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Y Combine -> Res
Apogee GT -> 80mm Rad​

Now the biggest question I have concerns tubing. From Res to Pump it's 1/2" ID, and from there on out its 3/8" ID. I could increase the size up to 1/2" with no problem, but what does it do to my flow rate?

I wouldn't bother with Y splits or anything... The only reason I'd ever use a Y split would be for a dual outlet block, or you were running 2 radiators in parallel:

Code:
                __ Radiator 1
Other shit ---< __ Radiator 2 >--- Rest of the shit

But that's about it... And only with identical radiators, with a really beefy pump (to keep at least 1gpm per radiator).

But, what card are you thinking of adding? If we estimate an 80mm radiator with 32cfm of airflow through it (so about a 40cfm fan) capable of dumping around 100w of heat, 2 of them don't really lend themselves to a good capacity... Hell, the 4850s and such still create around 110w of heat under most circumstances... That's half your radiative capacity right there!

So what would you recommend the lay out be? With the following:

80mm Rad x2
MCW60
Apogee GT
Res
Pump

Currently I'm running an AMD X2 3800+ (65W) and a nVidia 7800GT. I was hoping to move up to a 9800 GT.

Am I already at the limits of what a 80mm Rad,or even 2 setup can do?

Your X2 is probably pushing around 100w if it's being overclocked at all... the 9800GT has a tdp of around 120w... The theoretical maximum heat output of your loop will be around 220w... And for all practical purposes, probably closer to 200w.

Now, if you're using a GPU core only block (IE cooling the VRM's and RAM with ramsinks and moving air) I could see 2x 80mm radiators working fine... But, if you could step up to a 92mm radiator with a 92-80mm adapter, you'd definitely be in the clear without problem

I'm assuming you don't mind noise... as 2x 40cfm 80mm fans are going to run you around 36dba no matter what you do to them.

What radiator would you recommend? A Magicool Extreme 92mm for 40 bucks or a Black Ice GTX M92 for 55? I might have some size issues with how big the Black Ice one is, but if it is a big improvement over the Magicool one I'll consider it.

And yes I'm using just a CPU and GPU Block only, and regular old heatsinks for the RAM and stuff.

Overclocking headroom is purely option for me at this point.

Putting that aside, what is the ideal layout for a CPU, GPU and 2 Rad with pump and res system?

And what size tubing? My pump has a 1/2" ID inlet and a 3/8" ID outlet. Would increasing the outlet size to 1/2" ID via converter yield any benefits?

I don't think it would be worth it to go to 1/2" tubing... for you. I would definately stick with 3/8 for flow rate, and it sounds like you've got some space issues as it is.:)

I would do it something like this or make a few changes in order to get the cleanest routing (that being #1 concern).

Pump -> rad -> cpu -> rad -> vga -> res/pump

I think that would get you the best results across the board, still not slowing down too much flow for cpu blocks that would benefit from the higher flow.

I think any way it goes it would be foolish to get both radiators to the same point in the loop. Thinking, each radiator will only be able to cool a factor of the ambient.... makes sense to me.:cool:

Back