• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need some help with sound card.

Lolento

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
286
Hello,

I need some expert advice on sound cards. I probably posted in the wrong forum before (the HTPC forum...).

I was wondering what sound cards on Windows 7 allows for simultaneous Digital surround and Analog stereo outputs?

I understand that the "Stereo Mix" recording function allows for this, is it correct? I am asking because it seem my onboard Realtek audio device does not downmix Digital surround into stereo. So, in other words, I have to output stereo in digital format in order to use the "stereo mix" function.

Does any other sound card allow for this? Specifically, does anyone know whether Creative's "What U Hear" function can downmix digital surround into stereo (and then play them out simultaneously)?

THANKS!
 
I don't think any do. Soundcards don't give the option to use both the digital output and analog outputs at the same time.

You can do this using two separate audio devices (say, a soundcard and onboard), but only on a per-application basis, and only if one of the applications allows a manual selection of what audio device to use.
 
None that I'm aware either. The digital output is a different option in the audio setup under Windows.

And Stereo Mix or What you Hear, does not affect output selection. The option is used to combine the Windows audio and the Mic input to allow you to record both streams together.

The better question, would be what exactly are you wanting to do? Tell us what you are trying to do, and likely someone will have a solution.
 
Back
Top