Need some help with OS for Folding Box

Penguincomp

Racer [H]
I bought a 8x P4 Xeon server box that needs an OS for it. I'd like to put Linux on it and need some suggestions. My Linux experience is really limited but I refuse to put Microshaft on any more than I have to.

Suggestions? Live around Austin and want to help?

I'm sure mage will be around and be more than happy to help. :D

You ever get into his fold server? Net boot the pig and be done is one way.

Foldix should work. It should automatically download 8 wus etc. Though you couldn't use the box for anything else but folding. Do you also want to use the 8-way for day to day things?

As MN Scout said, Foldix will get 8 WUs, and deal with all that kind of thing. See the howto, and the download link. Let me know if you have any problems setting it up. I'm curious to see how it'll work on an 8-way.

What kind of machine is it? Must be huge...

AtomicMoose said:
What's with the sig?
:confused:
AtomicFire (i think that is his name) is who marty is quoting...from like a week ago

IBM e Server x Series 440 8 CPU Xeon 1.6 GHz/2GB/2x18GB
2gb RAM Memory (32gb Max)
2 x 18.1gb 10k Ultra3 SCSI HD
24X CDROM Drive - Floppy
Dual Power Supplies
Onboard 100baset NIC - USB - Normal Connectors

This box is strictly for folding anyways. I'm trying to cut down on power and heat. Killing off 2 of my dually xeon's and putting the procs in this (it only comes with 4 procs installed).

26_1_b.JPG

That monster is going to cut down on power? ;)

Good luck with 8 way folding...

Penguincomp said:
24X CDROM Drive - Floppy
Dual Power Supplies

This box is strictly for folding anyways. I'm trying to cut down on power and heat. Killing off 2 of my dually xeon's and putting the procs in this (it only comes with 4 procs installed).

26_1_b.JPG

That thing is hot! ( in the non literal sense )

Useful part of post:
AFAIK any standard linux distro will support 8 procs no problem. My favorite distro right now is Fedora Core 5. All you will have to do is the same as you would do on a windows machine, eg create 8 different directories. If you need help configuring them to startup like a service at boot, let me know.

Foldix will have the least overhead for threads. So it should fold faster than any standard full linux distro.

If you're looking to set it and forget about it foldix would be a good solution, if you want to learn a little Linux in the process I say go with sobe and try Fedora Core 5. It's not hardcore but you'll pick up a little bit of knowledge along the way. Plus you can always ask mage if you get stuck. ;)

Btw, teh folding pr0n = sexay! :D

Penguincomp said:
24X CDROM Drive - Floppy
Dual Power Supplies

[IMG ]http://i17.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/e8/d1/26_1_b.JPG[ /IMG]

Mmmmmmm.... purdy.... :D

Yea it'll save power since I'll be pulling two of my dually boxen out. They all have 600w Enermax PSU's in them. The two I'm pulling out suck anyways (comparitively) since one only has a 200mhz oc and the other one has a 400mhz oc on it.

wait... you got that beast for $900... are there any more hanging around ripe for the plucking?

not atm...watch ebay though. There are alot of those servers around for 1k..but all the one's I've seen are quad proc's.

Back