Need some help with DDWRT compatible routers

amrogers3

Gawd
Afternoon all,

Looking at upgrading my wireless router with one that supports 300 Mb/s, gigabit ports, and DDWRT. Supporting an attached hard drive would be awesome also!!

Found a few on newegg and hoping you guys can comment on the ones I found to hopefully help me narrow it down. Anyone have experience with the below routers?

Found the following:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
ASUS RT-N16

Downside, it's not dual band, RAM 128 MB, FLASH 32 MB, date of firmware 08/09/10, bugs include no UPNP and mac address filtering, 2.5 Ghz, USB (for external hard drive??)

Linksys WRT320N

dual band, RAM 32, FLASH 8, runs hot, date of firmware 08/09/2010, 5 GHz, no usb sad :(

LINKSYS E3000

dual band, RAM 64, Flash 8, date of firmware 04/21/11, supports printer sharing, 5Ghz, USB for external hard drive (if I can get it to work), runs hot

Looks like the ASUS RT-N16 would be the easiest to flash and has more RAM, however it's not dual band and has a couple issues.

E3000 has a ton of features including USB, 64 MB RAM, but I have no experience with any of these.

If there are other great DDWRT compatible routers, please let me know.

Any feedback is most appreciated.

:D

I run both the E3000 and RT-N16. Both are very good once you get them flashed.

Flashing the RT-N16 was a fucking nightmare though. Its native interface is AWFUL.

I run both the E3000 and RT-N16. Both are very good once you get them flashed.

Flashing the RT-N16 was a fucking nightmare though. Its native interface is AWFUL.

Thanks for reply mwarps. You notice any speed difference on the E3000 since it has dual band? Does the E3000 run hot?

I run two E2000's via DD-WRT and both units run fairly hot but are in wide open areas where air flow is adequate. Flashing was relatively simple provided that you are using the correct firmware revision for your model. In my case, flashed with a beta release which caused all sorts of performance issues and stability. Fixed it by trolling the forums and getting a recommendation on the best release to use.

I have deployed multiple RT-N16s
They are well built and I found them quite easy to flash.

They also come apart super easy if you plan to mod them.
As for dual band... yeah that's a feature it's lacking. If you *really* need 5Ghz then you're out of luck but I haven't needed it.
That said: Asus is actually releasing a clone of the RT-N16 with dual band pretty soon.

Thanks for reply mwarps. You notice any speed difference on the E3000 since it has dual band? Does the E3000 run hot?

No speed difference I could tell. I'm running on a 25mbit cable connection at home, so I don't see anything.

That said, I use a G/N 2.4GHz setup in the house with a WRT54G as the G AP. G is on channel 1, N on 11. Both G and N are as fast as I can expect with zero issues.

Not sure if you can dual band on the linksys E models. Any luck attaching a USB external hard drive?

Back