Need some help setting up remote desktop.

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm trying to setup remote desktop as so I can connect to my system when I'm at work. I know some of networking but not enought to set something like this up. I'm learning as I go. Here is what my router gives me, what should I fill in? :

setup5yx.jpg

setup21ua.jpg

that's it? just open up port 3389? I thought you have to set up a server and what not. Port forwarding?

Forward port 3389 to the LAN IP of your host. Generally you want to assign any computers you forward ports to, a static LAN IP address. By default, most are picking up an IP address from the DHCP of your router, such as 192.168.1.100. But sometimes, for many various reasons, DHCP will hand them a different IP address, such as 192.168.1.101.

Now if you forwarded port 3389 to 192.168.1.100 today, and tomorrow you boot up and your rig gets 192.168.1.101....your port forwarding is now useless. Hence...assign your rig a fixed IP outside of the DHCP pool, such as 192.168.1.11.

Make sure if you're running any software firewalls on your rig that this is excepted through it.

Now...from anywhere else across the internet, on your RD Client, you'll enter the WAN IP that your router obtains, such as 64.65.66.67...whatever your ISP gives you. (easily found by looking at your routers web admin, usually a "status" section, or by going to one of the many websites out there such as www.whatismyip.com. "But I have a dynamic IP account" you say....meaning, your IP may change weekly or monthly or something. Well...enter "dynamic dns services"...such as dyndns.org. Many routers support these free services. You sign up, choose a name such as "dave343.homeip.net"...and this service keeps aliasing that DNS name, to whatever IP address your router gets. Soon as your router gets a new IP, it's updated.

So from your RD Client, you'd enter "dave343.homeip.net" and connect.

to find your local ip (to port forward to) use ipconfig in cmd

to find your system ip (to connect to remotely) goto ipchicken.com

just set port forwarding and firewall extensions

If I leave my computer on all the time to recieved my RD connections to that port 3389, would that port be scanned alot? Just seeing as how it's standard for RD?

Back