Need some help reconfig of my network

Rashean700

Gawd
Alright this may seem strange but heres my old setup

Westell DSL modem...feeds a 8 port linksys GB switch...and I have 2 routers on the switch a Belkin pre-N router and a new Cisco e3000 router. Alright this worked great...disabled the dhcp in the belkin so it would not have a conflict and this ran perfect till I upgraded to cable today. I have bought 3 modems and they all do the same thing..Nothing!

Problem is that I cant get my routers to work off the switch like i used to before...any ideas?
Modem is a sb5101 and I have tried disabling the dhcp in the routers and its not working either.....

Your "upgraded" cable modem is provisioned by the cabole company, correct?
If you just connect a single computer to the SB5101 ethernet port, you can surf the net?

Your setup seems backwards ... usually you connect your cable modem to a router and then hang
any switches off the router. I can't tell much about the SB5101, but I had the SB5120 and in order
to use muliple computers, I had to add a router/switch (used a Linksys WRT54GS) to add DHCP, 4 LAN switch ports + wireless.

Start simple and answer the first two questions.

yes modem was provisioned....and yes I can surf if plugged into 1 pc...i can also use the e3000 with the router as well and no issues...except its slow getting going at first....i tried the modem to e3000 router to linksys gb switch to finally belkin router and the belkin wont get online now....i thought it seemed a strange setup too but it worked as it was needed so i didn't complain..lol

Why were you using 2x routers behind the Westell..(which itself is a combo modem/router)...so you have 3x routers with your DSL. For some reason. That's why it worked for you, the Westell was doing NAT and DHCP and sharing your connection.

Normally, cable or DSL, you have the modem==>Router==>PCs or switch and PCs.

You want your computers BEHIND the router...so they're protected by the NAT firewall.

Now that you have a true cable modem, and not a combo modem/router like the Westell you had, you'll have to actually use one of your routers properly...power off the modem, plug it into the WAN/Internet port of your highest performing router..power on router, power on modem...give 30 seconds or so to synch..and then bounce your router. Now with a PC (or more) plugged into the back of the router....power up..should be online.

No that's not the westell 327 it's a proline basic dsl box. It's a westell badged modem. Sry I really didn't clarify that. Ok so would the make it modem...to e3000 router....to linksys switch to other router? The reason I need two routers is so I can get my gf mom service across the street. We live in a rural area so across the street is like 500 feet. I have belkin wireless n router on the porch hidden and hanging so that they can use the laptop I sold them :).... That's the only way I can get them wifi over there.

If it were a pure bridged modem...you must have had multiple accounts...because with a bridged DSL modem, into a switch...with a couple of routers uplinked to the switch...you'd need multiple public IPs from your ISP to make that work.

the modem from your DSL provider was most likely doing the authentication and NAT. Allowing the routers to get internal IPs from it.

With the cable modem, it's trying to hand out multiple external IPs to your routers, and if your cable co does not provide more than 1 IP per modem, only one device will receive an IP and get 'net access.

No, you should be fine. Just follow the directions as previously posted.

Cable Modem> Cisco e3000 > Switch> PCs

Is there any reason you're using two wireless routers? Is one strung to the other end of the house for better coverage or something? If they're both sitting in the same room then just remove the Belkin from the setup.

lol the e3000 is a wireless n router and the Belkin is also a wireless pre-N router and the Belkin is on the porch for signal across the street. The e3000 is doing Nat and the Belkin doesn't have the option that i can find in it however it does say I could use it as an access point only but i could never get that feature to work so I never have.

hook the Cisco into the modem, let it do the NAT.
Hook the switch to the Cisco if you'd like.
Connect a patch cable to a LAN port on the Belkin, then configure the Belkin with an IP in the same range as the Cisco, and disable the DHCP on the Belkin.

Or, if you don't care about double-NAT'ing on the Belkin, leave it configured as is, and use the WAN port.

No, you should be fine. Just follow the directions as previously posted.

Cable Modem> Cisco e3000 > Switch> PCs

Is there any reason you're using two wireless routers? Is one strung to the other end of the house for better coverage or something? If they're both sitting in the same room then just remove the Belkin from the setup.

maybe he wants to keep some of his stuff separate from other computers...double pat!

Does your Belkin have a "client" mode? ie... was it previously bridged to your Westell?
If so, you should be able to make it a client to the e3000.

Back