• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Need some help on building a computer

Joined
Aug 8, 2004
Messages
14
Hi guys !!

I have been doing this for very long, but havent had a computer for like 4 month. Then today i started to look again and so soo much stuff which was like totally new to me. There is Socket 939, 754, and more. I am just looking for some light gaming, like Counter Strike, Diablo2, and some D3 if possible. I have so far.

Samsung 1100p+
Leasegang LCD Projector with 2m screen
400 Watt PSU (forgot the name, but has 28A on the 12V line)

I dont wanna spend more than 800€ which is roughly 984$. :p

I am open to AMD and to Intel. I would OC too if it would save some good money. I dont wanna go so extreme as i did with my old vapochill ;-)

I was thinking along the lines of a 2800+ A64 or a 2.4C :confused:
One thing i would really really like is 1GB of Ram. And fast drives. The size aint that much important.

I am thankfull for any help thats given.

Florian
 
Light gaming, eh? I suggest the Athlon route...

Processor - A64 2.8 GHz with a HSF of your choice (I like Zalman 7000CU). Should allow fair overhead for overclocking.
RAM - Corsair 1 GB XMS PC-3200 (512x2).
Hard Drive - Western Digital 74 GB 10K Raptor. 'Nuff said. Add your own old back up drive just in case.
Sound Card - Creative Audigy 2. If it isn't your concern, just find a motherboard with onboard sound.
Motherboard - MSI Neo-FISR Platinum 2 or ABIT K8V Pro. Generally all MSI's A64 solutions are good. But pick your choice of a nForce or VIA chipset.
Video Card - nVidia GeForce 6800 GT
Everything else - I've covered the important stuff. CD-RW's? DVD-RW's? Choose 'em. I like Lite-On and Plextor.

Anything else?

-J.
 
Well i thank you very much. Unfortunatly that comes for me to a total of 1146€ + 16% tax and 14€ shipping :rolleyes:

And even worse, noone on ebay wants my dual XEON PC :(

This is so sad......

Whats your price for the parts?

Greetings

Florian
 
Oh. I forgot the price limit. Well, honestly I did NOT look for the prices but I thought these would go well around $1,000 (USD). I did make a *slight* mistake. I did not know the GT was actually better than a regular 6800. I thought it was the budget version so that is changed. Following are estimates to make a simple overall price.

A64 2.8 GHz - $150.
Zalman 7000CU - $40.
Corsair 1 GB PC-3200 XLL XMS - $280.
Western Digital Raptor 74 GB - $180.
Creative Audigy 2 - $90.
Motherboard (Both Versions) - $110 to $120.
nVidia GeForce 6800 (NON-GT) - $290.
CD/DVD-RW's - $30 to $80.
Total Maximum Possible: $1280.


But as you said light gaming AND the price limit. I would recommend you the following possible changes:

Western Digital 80 GB 8 MB Cache - $72.
Radeon 9800 Pro - $200.

Thus bringing the maximum possible price down to: $1032.00

Do you need a case/PSU? Find a good one with both (Antec? Cooler Master?) for about $80 or more. If you want to go dirt cheap with a risky power supply, they go about $40 or more. I wouldn't recommend on skimping the power supply though.

The cheapest you could go for is: $812.

This is by having only a CD-RW without the heatsink (retail HSF with the A64 - they still work fairly well if you don't overclock too much) and no sound card (replaced by onboard sound) with a cheap case/PSU (not advisable but still cuts $40 dollars off). This is well below your maximum budget. :)

-J.
 
Back
Top