Need some help OCing my new rig

Entropy1982

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I just ordered a new rig, it should be here by tomorrow or wed. I overclocked my old system but I don't remember almost anything anymore and need some safe temps,safe voltages etc to use as reference. Any help, a guide, personal advice, etc would be very helpful. I hear having 12 gigs of ram may limit me.

This is my rig with the exception of the fact that I am returning the 620hx and getting an 850tx and am also getting a second gtx260. Keep in mind that for the time being, I am not replacing any fans, etc (obviously except for the heatsink)

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15624227

I want a relatively safe OC... I am not looking to get every little megahert out of this chip :) Any help with the ram timings would be useful as well (those always confused me)

Thanks all!

just do some searching in this section of the forum.. theres atleast 100 threads talking about overclocking the i7 920 anywhere from a basic 3.2ghz to an insane 4.1+ghz.. kyle also did a video to show how basic overclocking the i7 is..

ram timings dont make any where near the difference performance wise that they did with x2/nf4. just set the timings to the default ram timings, and vdimm to around 1.65v. as for the other stuff, its slightly more complicated than it used to be, because there is another bus or 2 to clock. but its still just a matter of adjusting 5 or 10 bios settings, and buying a third party hs/f. so if you have $40 and 2 or 3 minutes to set some bios settings, boom, you are an expert overclocker.

here is a guide to overclocking the i7 on an evga x58 board, which is similar, to 4ghz which is no big deal with ANY i7 chip. hope it helps.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=642527

Thanks guys, are the evga settings and the asus p6t settings the same? (names and all?) and what software do you recommend to test temps, etc.

Most of the guides i find don't really have any safe temps/voltages. That's really important for me. Any advice on that?

Last edited:
just do some searching in this section of the forum.. theres atleast 100 threads talking about overclocking the i7 920 anywhere from a basic 3.2ghz to an insane 4.1+ghz.. kyle also did a video to show how basic overclocking the i7 is..
anyone have a link to this video? Or are you talking about the power and heat ones?

Back