Need some help - new install

Nomad

2[H]4U
I just picked up the Gigabyte Z87 UD5H (Rev 1 board).

I installed a 4670K and an H100i, 16Gb 1600Mhz, small SSD for testing and windows 7.

I got the OS up and running without issue. Everything was going fine until I decided to attempt an OC. I went into the bios, attempted to do so and it failed to boot. No worries, reset the BIOS and then headed back into Windows to see if there was an updated BIOS. Sure enough - I am running F4 and F7 was available to download. I tried to use the @BIOS utility to download F7, but I kept getting a 500 error, so I did it the old fashioned way by using Chrome to download the file. I unzipped it and then told @BIOS to use the file and update the BIOS. It started the flash (after backing up the original BIOS) and then said that it failed to update. Didn't think anything of it as Windows was still working fine. Upon the next reboot the onboard speaker starts screaming at me every other second about 15 times before the machine just reboots itself. I never get video. It stops at 15 on the LED code on the motherboard, which means that the northbridge is starting up.

So - not to fear. This board has a second BIOS that you can use a dip switch to go between. I go back into windows to see if I can figure something out. Then, I try to update the @BIOS utility. That goes well. I reboot and then attempt to update the BIOS again. This succeeded..... But now the board wont boot at all. No code on the LED. I have tried reseating the ram. There are 2 LEDs on the MB that tell you which BIOS the machine is booting from. When I boot this way one LED stays on for a few seconds, then switches, then back again.

If I switch back to BIOS 1, it screams at me again.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

You can try to clear the CMOS to see what happens.

If you can still boot using the backup BIOS, I would recommend updating the BIOS from within the BIOS if your board supports it.

Hold down the clr cmos button on the side of the board. That should get you back going then.

Sorry for the confusion -- when I said that I cleared the BIOS - I was referring to clearing the CMOS. Going to give it one more shot tonight, then will RMA the board. Any other thoughts in the mean-time?

I thought that board will update the bios from inside the bios. It is suppose go online from the bios and update it.

Back