Need some guide...

eo54

n00b
I'm fairly new to website making. If i want to make a website, what are the software i can use to aid me? Dreamweaver?

Currently there r PHP, xhtml, html and asp. Which 1 should i use? I'm pretty confused to even get myself started.

PHP and ASP are server side scripting technologies that allow you to analyze and store data in databases and other things where are HTML and XHTML are client side and at least HTML is required to make a website where as PHP and ASP are not required.

XHTML is better than HTML because it's more strict but it might be a good idea to start out with learning HTML (though learning XHTML will probably prove more of a usefulness in your web designing, especially if you ever dive into XML).

You can try learning PHP5. Its easy to setup, and not so difficult to learn and also offers good MySQL support. In terms of software, DreamWeaver MX and TopStyle Pro are good.

Does DreamWeaver MX or TopStyle Pro do them in PHP? I'm actually intending to start off with PHP. If i were to start off with PHP.. do i need to purchase webspace that run on Apache?

I'm currently learning PHP and mySQL programming myself. If you want to start off with PHP I'd suggest going and getting one of the packages out there that installs PHP, mySQL and Apache as a development environment. For the most part these packages pretty much set up everything for you except for a few minor things that you'll need to do on your own.

The package I currently use and was suggested to me here where I work is phpdev. It sets up a pretty nice development environment.

Also, like mentioned before, you might want to make sure that you have at least the basics of HTML down and maybe even look into CSS.

I do everything in PHP and Perl. I do this to take into account that most people veiwing a site aren't useing the latest and greatest computer hardware. It's extremely painful when I have to jump on the web with an old machine, and there is annoying flash and java everywhere.

Back