Need Some Guidance - First Time Water Cooling

kriz225

n00b
Hello! Water cooling newb here.

I've built my last 3 PCs, and even upgraded my current build a few times during it's 5 year lifespan. However, I've never tried my hand at water cooling. Well, I bought one of those all-in-one closed loop things, but that doesn't really count, does it?
smile.gif

Unfortunately, my PC has taken to randomly dying on me (won't even POST) - so I'm starting to look at building a new system. I haven't overclocked in a while, and figured this will be a good a time to rekindle that passion. With that in mind, I've also decided that it's time to jump straight into water cooling as well.

I've done some research already, and have picked out a few parts. That said, I'm not very sure on basics like fitting, space and whether or not I've missed some things...

Here's the list of (relevant) parts I'm considering:

Computer Bits

Case - Phanteks Eclipse P400S
Mobo - ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII RANGER
CPU - Intel i7 6700K, looking to OC to 4.8 GHz ideally
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080, not sure on OC yet but probably as much as the more expensive FTW edition at least

Cooling Bits

CPU / Mobo - EK-FB ASUS M8G Monoblock
GPU - EK-FC1080
Pump / Reservoir - Undecided, considering something like the EK-XRES 140 Revo D5.
Radiator - Undecided, but looking for something of the 120x3 / 120.3 / 360 variety.
Fans - No idea on this one, other than 3x 120mm obviously.
Tubing - Green
smile.gif
. From what I've read inner diameter doesn't matter much, looking for something thicker to avoid kinks and such.
Fittings - Undecided, leaning towards barbed fittings with clamps.
Coolant - Distilled water with a killcoil

As for room temperatures, I have air conditioning so it will generally be ~70-75 F at the most.

I don't see any stand-alone block options for the MAXIMUS VIII boards, and I do want to water cool the mobo. I think that means the EK monoblock is my only choice for CPU / mobo at that point.

From what I've seen, the D5 pump seems like the better option out there, but there's a million variants... I'm also very, very uncertain on where the pump and reservoir will even fit in the P400S. I can't seem to find anything on that beyond a pump mounting bracket that takes the spot of the HDD cage - but that's going to have to go with a 120x3 radiator as well, and even then I don't see space for a reservoir down there...

Thoughts on part selection? Did I miss anything? Fitment of reservoir/pump? Any guidance is appreciated.

If it helps at all, here's the parts list I'm considering:

Monoblock - EK-FB ASUS M8G (Acetal/Nickel)
GPU Block - EK-FC1080 GTX (Acetal/Nickel) + EK-FC1080 GTX Backplate
Pump - EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM Elite
Reservoir - EK-RES X3 150
Radiator - EK-CoolStream XE 360
Fans - GentleTyphoon 120mm PWMs w/2150 max RPM (x3)
Tubing - EK-Tube ZMT, 10-16 | 3/8-5/8 (x3)
Fittings - EK-ACF fittings 10-16 (x10)

Personally, I would go with a D5 pump, a T-line setup and 2 120.3 rads instead of just one. I also do not see a need to cool the mobo, but if you want it, do it :)

The single rad will probably cut it, but you will have to run the fans at pretty high speed. The second rad could make your system near silent.

The T-line setup allows you to not use a reservoir (lighter PC) but is a bit more finicky to bleed the air out of.

I like the barbed fittings over the compression fittings, if only to reduce hand cramp. You can tighten up the clamps with a screwdriver or ratcheting socket instead of by hand. They also tend to be cheaper.

As you start from scratch, I would recommend to use 1/2 ID tubing. It kinks less, and ups the flow rate, offsetting your 2nd rad.

And finally, my best piece of advice for a new disciple of the watercooling arts: Go for functionality, not for looks. The best watercooled PC is the one without windows, plain transparent tubing and distilled water that screams along at 5+GHz. In the end you actually want to use the computer, not look at it.

3/8" ID, 5/8" OD is the preferred tubing size because it doesn't kink and there is little difference in flow rate at 1/2" ID .

3/8 id 5/8 od tube has wall thickness of 1/4.
1/2 id 3/4 od tube also has a wall thickness of 1/4.
Seems they should have the same kink resistance to me. Or do I get this wrong?

that is true, however you ever try bending 3/4OD around inside a case?

I've used both in the past, and it's really about the same. The brand of tubing can have more to do with how much flex you get before kinking than the specific sizes.

Don't buy the monoblock. I have it on my Hero, and I fucking hate it. Gets heat saturated by the VRMs, and has HORRIBLE mounting setup.

Don't buy the monoblock. I have it on my Hero, and I fucking hate it. Gets heat saturated by the VRMs, and has HORRIBLE mounting setup.

That's what I figured.. when a block is.made to cool multiple parts something is not gona get a good seal as with all manufacturing,stuff ends up a little taller or a little shorter then some.

Would think the thermal pads they use on the power stuff would help that.

Kinda reminds me of a air cooler for members and the power regulation swiftech made back when to use with a GPU water block.. think it was a 8800gtx.

Anyways the air cooler had poor contact cause it didn't have enough enough contact points to secure it right.

Ended up returning them.

Back