So, I'm building a new computer system (Upgrading from a C2D system), ready to purchase immediately, have some general questions to direct my research however:
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming (Mostly MMO's, Starcraft 2, but the odd FPS here and there) Very little, if any, video/sound/photo editing
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
1200-1500 Canadian including shipping
3) Where do you live?
Niagara Falls, Ontario
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU/Mobo/Ram/Vidcard/Optical Drive/SSD/HD/OS
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Reusing, if possible: Case : Antec p182 and PSU - Enermax Liberty 500W psu, Monitor - 20inch@1650x1200
6) Will you be overclocking?
Eventually
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
have a 20 inch @ 1650x1200 - Not upgrading immediately but yes eventually.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Immediately.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
I suppose I would want support for USB3 as I am sure eventually I will get a USB3 device of some sort.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
No - need to buy a license of Win7 64
OTHER NOTES:
The i7-9xx line is out for me since I don't feel the 1366 socket is worth investing in and I want to get the most bang for my buck - so I'm planning on going 1156 which gives me two options:
1) Get an i7-870 with a 5850GPU (among everything else)
OR
2) Get an i5-760 with a 5870GPU
Keeping in mind presently using a 20 inch display at 1650x1200 - but monitor upgrade is next as well
As an aside - Is it worth jacking up everything else in the system a notch and using an AMD based processor?
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming (Mostly MMO's, Starcraft 2, but the odd FPS here and there) Very little, if any, video/sound/photo editing
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
1200-1500 Canadian including shipping
3) Where do you live?
Niagara Falls, Ontario
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU/Mobo/Ram/Vidcard/Optical Drive/SSD/HD/OS
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Reusing, if possible: Case : Antec p182 and PSU - Enermax Liberty 500W psu, Monitor - 20inch@1650x1200
6) Will you be overclocking?
Eventually
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
have a 20 inch @ 1650x1200 - Not upgrading immediately but yes eventually.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Immediately.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
I suppose I would want support for USB3 as I am sure eventually I will get a USB3 device of some sort.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
No - need to buy a license of Win7 64
OTHER NOTES:
The i7-9xx line is out for me since I don't feel the 1366 socket is worth investing in and I want to get the most bang for my buck - so I'm planning on going 1156 which gives me two options:
1) Get an i7-870 with a 5850GPU (among everything else)
OR
2) Get an i5-760 with a 5870GPU
Keeping in mind presently using a 20 inch display at 1650x1200 - but monitor upgrade is next as well
As an aside - Is it worth jacking up everything else in the system a notch and using an AMD based processor?
Last edited: