• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Need some game suggestions

TheCommander

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 2, 2003
Messages
2,999
I'm looking for either a more recent RPG or a turn based strategy game (doesn't matter how old). Any suggestions?

NWN2 and Dragon Age I already played.
 
The witcher is good, I am looking for another one too. I heard some things about Risen. Anyone know about that one?
 
Mount & Blade. It has no magic, unless you get a mod, but it surprised me greatly when I thought I'd only be interested in RPG's with magic in the world.

If you don't mind the lack of magic and don't need a special Obsidian/Bioware level story, then you'll really enjoy it. Fighting is awesome.
 
The witcher is good, I am looking for another one too. I heard some things about Risen. Anyone know about that one?
Risen is a game that is definitely better than the sum of it's pieces. The combat does have a bit of a learning curve. You have to dodge, block and time your swings, as well as use the double and triple attack swings if you want to live longer than 1 fight. The game also is very difficult if you try to 'stray off the path' before you are strong enough. I like exploring every nook and cranny so I did this in the game only to realize I was going places in the game that were too difficult for me at the time. It's really irritating to die in 1 or 2 hits by a monster but it's also cool that the game gives you the freedom to go wherever you want, even if your not strong enough. Most games will just auto level mobs or give you some linear path; Risen isn't like that.

If you stick to the main storyline, you'll be fine difficulty wise. With side quest you'll eventually explore the entire map so don't feel the need to avoid the story because you'll eventually see everything anyways. It's really a great game and I recommend it if you've got the stones. Have fun the first time you meet an Ash Beast. You'll eventually be able to kill them in 2 hits believe it or not :D
 
Have you played any of the oldies like baldurs gate and fallout1/2? Might be worth playing them though if you're after a really good RPG, if you can stand the low resolution graphics. Fallout 2 i can't recommend enough.

Fallout3 honestly wasn't that bad for a console based sequel either, oblivion was also impressive, I also hear the witcher is good although a real hardcore RPG, i didn't get on well with the simple combat.
 
Risen is a game that is definitely better than the sum of it's pieces. The combat does have a bit of a learning curve. You have to dodge, block and time your swings, as well as use the double and triple attack swings if you want to live longer than 1 fight. The game also is very difficult if you try to 'stray off the path' before you are strong enough. I like exploring every nook and cranny so I did this in the game only to realize I was going places in the game that were too difficult for me at the time. It's really irritating to die in 1 or 2 hits by a monster but it's also cool that the game gives you the freedom to go wherever you want, even if your not strong enough. Most games will just auto level mobs or give you some linear path; Risen isn't like that.

If you stick to the main storyline, you'll be fine difficulty wise. With side quest you'll eventually explore the entire map so don't feel the need to avoid the story because you'll eventually see everything anyways. It's really a great game and I recommend it if you've got the stones. Have fun the first time you meet an Ash Beast. You'll eventually be able to kill them in 2 hits believe it or not :D

Grrr...I really want to play this but no one is trading it(PC) on Goozex!
 
Risen is one of those games that you just 'feel good' that you mastered. I really enjoyed it.
 
I like turn based games.

Galactic Civilizations 2 Ultimate Edition is on sale now for only $9.99 http://impulsedriven.com/galciv2ul The orignal game with both expansion packs; great deal on a very good game.

Blood Bowl is an entertaining turn based tactical game. Although a sequel, BB:Legendary Edition, with a lot more teams is coming out this fall so you might want to wait.
 
Final Fantasy Tactics, its turn based and an RPG. A really good game.
 
I'm looking for either a more recent RPG or a turn based strategy game (doesn't matter how old). Any suggestions?

NWN2 and Dragon Age I already played.

As for strategy, I'd recommend Sword of the Stars. Alternately, you could consider the Master of Orion series over at Good Old Games. Also Master of Magic. Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword + the Fall from Heaven 2 mod is pretty sweet too.
 
Even though it's probably obvious I'd say Mass Effect and ME2.

I'll give a vote to the Witcher too. I had a lot of fun with that and it would be worth the effort since they announced the sequel.
 
Torchlight is fun and cheap. X-Com if you truly don't care how old the game is. :)

Master Of Orion 1 and 2 are on sale at GOG.com, can't go wrong there either, classic games.
 
I just got Torchlight through Steam. Surprised at how good it is.

Make sure you check out the forums on the official Torchlight site. Plenty of modding stuff going on; Torchlight is one of the easiest games to mod IME. Who knows if they'll get multiplayer working, but last I checked, someone was still working on making it happen.
 
Back
Top