• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need some computer speakers. Any suggestions?

slayer9019

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 2, 2010
Messages
1,599
Im looking to replace my (very crappy) Dell 2.1 setup with some real speakers

I need a bit of bass "punch" response but dont want to kill the people down the street.

I was looking at getting Studio Monitors (SV40s or similar). If i was to get monitors i would kinda want optical in but not required...

Any good ideas?


100-150$ bracket


I HATE the look of the new M-Audio 2.1 system, but heard good things
 
Wait... 2.1 m audios?? what??? where?

$150 budget usually means klipsch promedias

 
PC speakers more or less all use paper cones, except the JBL Creatures which allegedly use aluminum which is probably one of the worst ideas for a mid-range driver given the resonance characteristics of the material.

Those look like butyl surrounds to me. There's absolutely no reason to use foam surrounds these unless planned obsolescence is your design goal, but that's only effective when you are a monopoly.

I hate horn tweeters and the Klipschs always seemed bright to me, from what I remember of my various roommates had (Ultra 2.0, Ultra 5.1, Promedia 2.1, iFi).
 
You won't get far with $150 for brand new speakers. You might want to look at ebay. The Logitech Z-Cinema were pretty decent for computer speakers when I heard them a while back and I think you can find them for ~$80 on ebay. They used to retail for $300 before they were discontinued.
 
i was still looking at studio monitors but was hoping the bass wasnt no-existant.

Although those promedias look nice
 
Im looking to replace my (very crappy) Dell 2.1 setup with some real speakers

I need a bit of bass "punch" response but dont want to kill the people down the street.

I was looking at getting Studio Monitors (SV40s or similar). If i was to get monitors i would kinda want optical in but not required...

Any good ideas?


100-150$ bracket


I HATE the look of the new M-Audio 2.1 system, but heard good things

is there a new m audio 2.1 system out? link? thanks!
 
i was still looking at studio monitors but was hoping the bass wasnt no-existant.

Although those promedias look nice

Oh you can definitely get studio monitors with bass. All you need is $12,000 and Genelec will happily oblige you.

If your budget is under $2000, push studio monitors as FAR OUT OF YOUR MIND AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN, because budget "studio" monitors are not designed to have bass or sound good. And of course they neither have bass nor sound good. Why? BECAUSE YOU DON'T BUY STUDIO MONITORS TO LISTEN TO MUSIC.
 
are those paper cones???


.....i hate paper cones....and foam surrounds. i have had them fail SOO many times pre-maturely

Yeah the problem you are having is that you are throwing you speakers into a pool and into concrete walls. Don't do that and you will find that paper cones and foam surrounds pose no threat to you or your family.
 
Yeah the problem you are having is that you are throwing you speakers into a pool and into concrete walls. Don't do that and you will find that paper cones and foam surrounds pose no threat to you or your family.

lol! i just have had foam randomly rip and paper doesnt have the rigidity that I like.

Oh you can definitely get studio monitors with bass. All you need is $12,000 and Genelec will happily oblige you.

If your budget is under $2000, push studio monitors as FAR OUT OF YOUR MIND AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN, because budget "studio" monitors are not designed to have bass or sound good. And of course they neither have bass nor sound good. Why? BECAUSE YOU DON'T BUY STUDIO MONITORS TO LISTEN TO MUSIC.

One of my friend has a pair of mackies and a pair of JBLs (outta my price range) and I think music sounds good on em. Yes they are "flat" but you can also hear all the small sounds that you cant with regular speakers.
 
There's nothing wrong with studio monitors, they are designed for near field.
Their dispersion characteristics obviously are not optimal for casual placement (this is by design, to reduce listening strain, off-axis treble response is aggressively rolled off) but great if you just drop them next to your monitor.

Of course I would not recommend them for classical music, most powered monitors do not have enough power and will clip easily playing dynamic material.
 
My vote is passive Bic DV62si and a used receiver (~$100)

That will get you much better sound than $150 studio monitors.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My vote is passive Bic DV62si and a used receiver (~$100)

That will get you much better sound than $150 studio monitors.

OMG are those screws holding in the drivers....... they don't have the holding power i like.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
One of my friend has a pair of mackies and a pair of JBLs (outta my price range) and I think music sounds good on em. Yes they are "flat" but you can also hear all the small sounds that you cant with regular speakers.


Well 1.) JBLs aren't CLOSE to flat. Yeah maybe they're flat with an A weighted sound meter (which makes them SOUND super flat), but a JBL's C curve probably has a mount everest at 30hz. A friend of mine used to mix with a pair of JBLs before he upgraded to Genelecs and you can tell which monitors he used on each of his tracks because the mixes he made with the JBLs had no bass!

2.) Those mackies are probably the MR8s which are pretty flat down to 40hz so they probably sound decent with music without sub bass, but when you factor in the price ($580 on sale) they're just not a good deal for listening to music considering you can get a better sounding system WITH sub bass for half the price.

3.) You definitely can hear all the "small sounds" with "regular speakers." I own a pair of m-audio av40s, and while I'l admit they're not real studio monitors, I think it should be noted that I can hear a lot more detail from the "regular speakers" I put together with Dayton RS drivers.
 
My vote is passive Bic DV62si and a used receiver (~$100)

That will get you much better sound than $150 studio monitors.
I've had those in my living room for about 10 years! They still sound GREAT too :D

Pretty good bass responce down to 50Hz. Below that you're going to NEED a sub. then again that's in the living room that they need a sub, they might not in a near field setup.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top