• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need some amplification advice

Fryguy8

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 26, 2001
Messages
1,707
Well, I'm building up my home theater some more. I've already got the speakers picked out, and I'm working on building them now:

http://fryguy.nevercontent.com/DaytonProject

They are a 4ohm nominal design, so I'm getting amplifiers for them so my receiver doesn't have to power them. I'm eventually going to be getting a matching center design (exact same drivers in a WMTW horizontal configuration with a crossover tuned for the different baffle layout), as well as matching 2-way versions in the rear, and I'm eventually going to be amplifying all of my speakers and replacing my receiver with a pre/pro so I'm thinking ahead with my amp choices. At this point I have it narrowed down to 2 options:

5 of these:
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html
1 for each speaker

or 4 of these:
http://www.behringer.com/A500/

1 for each of the front speakers (bi-amped, not bridged), and then 1 for the surrounds.

I'm looking to buy new, so don't recommend the adcoms on ebay. I want something that looks good as well as sounds good, since it will be shown off on my rack in my theater. The price is right around what you'd expect after browsing the above 2 ideas, in the $1000 ballpark. I don't want to spend more than 1500, and I prefer separate pieces. I don't want a big 5-channel amp. Both for aesthetic reasons and also so I have what is presumably a better power supply (yes this is an assumption I know, and I can get a really good 5-channel amp and compare it to a bad set of stereo amps, blah blah blah).

Purpose is an even mix of gaming/movies/music. Needs to be all-purpose good at everything.

I'm using a behringer ep1500 for my subwoofer if that means anything to you: http://webpages.charter.net/fryguy (these are old pics in my bedroom, this equipment is now in a living room next to a 56" dlp)

Basic requirements for the amp:
-Has to not suck :)
fanless, accepts bananaplugs, unbalance and balanced inputs (I don't care that I can just get a converter, I want RCA inputs as an option)
 
Well, this is really something that I haven't researched too much, but don't you think maybe you have too much amplifier power for the speakers that are being built? :cool:

I'll say this about behringer vs. QSC because I had a chance to compare two very similar models. The models were the Behringer Europower 2500 and the QSC RMX 2450. Both basially provide the same power and at lower volumes, the sound was the same through some peavey PR15? It's the lightweight 15" peavey 2 way speakers. But at higher volumes up to clipping levels, that's where the differences were apparent. The Behringer had a very harsh clipping sound to it. The QSC was a softer clipping noise to it. It was as though the QSC had a sound that was useable eventhough it was clipping. I believe you can run the system even at intermittent clipping levels without damaging anything, but the quality level was apparent only at those volumes. I also tried some heavy bass tracks and again at clipping volume levels, the QSC distanced itself. Of course, I really doubt that I would run those systems continuously at those levels without earplugs or if I'm not at least 200 feet away from the speakers. Of course, for the price of one QSC, you can get two Behringers and not have to worry about clipping if space isn't a concern.
 
Well, you shouldn't be driving amplifiers anywhere near clipping anyway, which is the reason I'm getting so much power and bi-amping.

As for the behringer versus QSC argument, it doesn't apply here because QSC doesn't have a model comparable to the a500.
 
Back
Top