Need some advice

SXT14

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 26, 2006
Messages
126
Alright heres the deal... with xmas coming up im going to be building a new computer. I cant decide what processor to go with. Currently I have a amd 64 3700+. I want to go dual core fore shore. I'm still debating to either go core 2 duo or X2. Me only being 15 I don't have a lot of money but if you could recommend some processors. Thanks guys
 
I'd get a conroe... Those things should last you at least 3-4 years before becoming too slow.

As for your current processor... What socket is it? 939? Am2? 754?

E6300 is faster than Any X2 in the sub 500$ range right now.

E6300 runs at 183$
Asus P5B-E motherboards run at about 100$
And a Gig of DDR2-800 RAM runs close to 150$.

What's your budget?
 
Arcygenical said:
I'd get a conroe... Those things should last you at least 3-4 years before becoming too slow.

As for your current processor... What socket is it? 939? Am2? 754?

E6300 is faster than Any X2 in the sub 500$ range right now.

E6300 runs at 183$
Asus P5B-E motherboards run at about 100$
And a Gig of DDR2-800 RAM runs close to 150$.

What's your budget?

There's corsair CL5 stuff for 125, but I wouldn't recommend if you're going into overclocking. D9GMH or D9GKX chips are all atleast 150+ for 1gb kits, 225+ for 2gb kits. P5B-E sounds like a good board, I'd recommend that also, along with maybe the Gigabyte S-3. If you can wait, the E4xxx and E2xxx series are coming out, the E4xxx series being cheaper than the E6xxx, and the E2xxx series coming out in the sub-100 dollar range. that's quarter 1 next year
 
It sounds like you already have an AMD board and RAM. It would be much cheaper to just buy a new CPU that will work with your existing setup. While switching to Core 2 may be faster, you're going to have to pay for it with a new MB and new RAM. Save some cash and upgrade that 3700+ to a new chip you can just drop in the board. What socket is your motherboard?
 
Back
Top