Need some advice to go eyefinity...

So, right now I have an Asus VK246H, and a HD5850... What is the least expensive way to do a 3-monitor eyefinity setup?

I don't have to have the exact same monitor for all three, but I would like to keep it symmetrical as possible (ie buy one more VK246H; so i would have the same monitor on the left and right sides.)

As far as the middle lcd is concerned, would I be better off buying a new monitor (same size and resolution of course) with a mini display port, or should I get a 3rd VK246H and an active adapter?

I know that the VK246H is not the best lcd out there as far as quality is concerned, but I have been very happy with it thus far.

You don't need mini display port, just regular display port.

An active DP->DVI adapter is about $100, so if you can find a monitor with DP that costs less than a VK246H+$100, I would go with that. I don't actually know of any 24" 1920x1080 monitors with display port. There are 23" 1920x1080 monitors with DP and 24" 1920x1200 monitors with DP. Not sure about 24" 1920x1080.

That said, the adapters do seem to be much more troublesome than a monitor with native dp. It isn't uncommon to get flickering that seems to be solved with an RMA. Others have no problems at all. So that is something worth considering when figuring out which is the cheaper solution.

Back