Need some advice on going either 32 or 40 4K monitor

Spacy9

Scotch is my Lord and Savior
I currently have a GTx680 and a 25" 1080P monitor. I haven't really upgraded anything in the computer in almost 4 years (2600k at 4.6 and 16Gb ram) but I think it's time for a new monitor and graphics card.

I'm looking to go with the Titan X (possibly SLI) and either a 32 or 40 4K monitor. The monitor is where I'm having issues. I went to Best Buy to just look at 32 and 40 inch TVs side by side for size comparison. The 32 is huge compared to what I have now, but then I start wondering if I'd regret not getting the 40 inch. Then I wonder if the 40 inch is too big for everyday use - I'm sure it would be awesome on gaming, but what about actual work - Word, Excel, Visio, etc?

Any feedback you could give me would be appreciated - if you went from a smaller monitor to either a 32 or 40 how long did it take you to get used to it, and is it big enough ? :)

I researched the 32" vs. 40" a lot. 40" looked very attractive to me especially the curved Samsung 4K TV. I did experiments by raising my current 27"@1440p (same pixel density as the 40") to the height of the 40". In the end my conclusion was that 40" is too high from ergonomic point of view, even if its lowered to touch the desk. With 40" I would have to raise eyes/head/eye up to see the top part of the screen which would not be very comfortable and risks chronic neck/back pain. Besides, when looking at lower part of the screen, the dispersed light from the upper part somehow felt disturbing. In the end I decided for BenQ 32" and after using it I am very happy that I have not decided for the one which would be too big. With the 32" my eye level is at the top of the screen when the display is lowered to touch the desk, which is the best ergonomy. Visual space is fully filled but the screen is not overwhelming. I am even more convinced now that 40" is too big, (too high to be more precise). I am not much in gaming and my viewing distance is about 2 feet.

Thanks guys.

I am a bit worried about the center field of vision on the 40"

Anyone else want to chime in and break the tie? :)

I went 48" about two weeks ago, have used it since. Not too high, ALL displays "shrink" over time, right now I wonder if this one is any larger/taller than the Dell 30" I replaced, haha.

Go as big as possible and have no regrets. Height is a non-issue after the first two days, believe it.

Personally, I wouldn't go bigger than a 32". But that's me, everyone is different.

With opinions divided the best would be trying. Either in shop or with the current monitor by raising it so that upper edge of the screen is at the upper edge of 40". Preference may also depend on the main intended usage. Gaming may be more immersive with the 40" and monitor may be then set at bigger distance, productivity could be better with the 32".

Back