• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need some advice on fan controller

1Wolf

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
439
I was hoping to get some advice on this fan controller I'm having problems with.

I've got these 4 Thermaltake A2018 case fans. They're great...I love them. I can run them at a slightly lower speed and, to me at least, they are quiet and move a ton of air. If I need even more...I can crank them up. However, cranked up to max its pretty loud...but does move alot of air and keep my temps nice.

So when I built the system...I installed this fan controller and wired all 4 fans to it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998038

Problem is....I'm on my second one now and that one is crapping out too. When installed, the fan controller starts out running great....but then as a few weeks go by...one of the knobs 'dies' and won't power the fan at ALL unless its turned up to 100%...and even then...gradually it dies until it won't power the fan at all. This happened to my last controller...and I returned it to install this one...which is ALSO now dying.

As I read through the user reviews on Newegg for OTHER fan controllers....it sounds like this is a pretty common problem and that alot of these fan controllers are pretty 'gimmicky' and cheaply made.

This is starting to sound like more trouble than its worth.

I was wondering if someone could either point me to a fan controller that is built GOOD and has a reputation for lasting....or....maybe there is another solution I'm missing? I don't care if the controller has LED's or not...or temp readouts...all I care about is that it controls my fans and I don't have to keep replacing it.

I thought about just saying "to heck with it" and plugging the fans into my mobo....but someone once told me that running all that current through the mobo headers is a bad idea (I don't know if there is any truth to that statement or not). Not to mention, then I wouldn't be able to turn the fans DOWN when I'm just surfing and working...and then crank them UP when I'm gaming.

Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe someone else has run into a similar dilemma.

Thanks!
 
I have both the Kaze Master and the Zalman. Both use rheostats, but there's one huge difference between the two, and may explain why the Kaze is dying.

The Zalman has actual heatsinks on the rheostats while the Kaze does not.

When I installed the Kaze, I actaully used an epoxy tim to attach a heatsink across all 4 rheostats. It's been working as fine as the day I got it.
 
2nd vote for the zalman, mines been going for 5 or 6 years now, no trouble with it whatsoever.
 
I've had a Sunbeam Rheostat for a while now and no issues whatsoever - and it was cheap at SVC. You can snatch 'em for around $15 plus shipping if you look around though.
 
Thanks for the responses guys!

I have both the Kaze Master and the Zalman. Both use rheostats, but there's one huge difference between the two, and may explain why the Kaze is dying.

The Zalman has actual heatsinks on the rheostats while the Kaze does not.

When I installed the Kaze, I actaully used an epoxy tim to attach a heatsink across all 4 rheostats. It's been working as fine as the day I got it.

What sort of heat sink did you use for this, where could I get one, and exactly what sort of epoxy tim did you use?

I'll be returning my second Kaze back to Newegg and, as its outside of 30 days, I'll only be able to get a replacement and not a refund...so...if I have to give this yet ANOTHER shot (Either that or toss the damn thing in the garbage)...then maybe there is a cheap Magyver Radio-Shack way to make this thing actually last.

I use the Zalman 6-device fan controller and it has worked fine for 1.5 years now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813999251

Two negatives about it though...
1. The LEDs blink.
2. Only has 4 fan connectors. The other 2 devices can only connect directly via the wire leads.

2nd vote for the zalman, mines been going for 5 or 6 years now, no trouble with it whatsoever.

The reviews I read have several users reporting the same sort of problem with this Zalman unit as I had with the Kaze...however...I trust folks here at [H] far more than myriad net reviews so if its working out for you guys...maybe I'll just cut bait, dump the Kaze, and give this Zalman a shot.

Thanks alot guys :)
 
Back
Top