Need some advice on extending my wireless signal.

Ovreel

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I recently switched to comcast Xfinity for my ISP, we were previously on Qwest. My previous router was able to make it all the way through our house with at least a decent connection and the connection would rarely drop (if ever). However, now, with this new modem/router, the connection is often very weak and frequently drops when I am upstairs on my laptop.

I was hoping to get some advice on what the best way to improve the connection would be. Wireless access point? Repeater? Different modem/router altogether? Other option?

The range that the connection needs to go is about 25-35 feet and through ~3 walls.

Thanks for your help!

Guessing the old Router wasn't yours/ don't have it? If you do have it, you could just set it up in Access point mode and use it as wireless AP. You would just disable all router functionality.

Have you tried moving your router to the center of the house possibley?

I've moved it as far as I can at the moment, however it's difficult to position it correctly while still having it connected to the host computer. The device we're using right now is This, which has no driver/firmware updates, or even a manual.

I really wish hardwiring was an option, but sadly it is not. Is there a way to extend the range without losing connection speed? Would getting a dedicated router to serve as a WAP do that?

I've moved it as far as I can at the moment, however it's difficult to position it correctly while still having it connected to the host computer. The device we're using right now is This, which has no driver/firmware updates, or even a manual.

I really wish hardwiring was an option, but sadly it is not. Is there a way to extend the range without losing connection speed? Would getting a dedicated router to serve as a WAP do that?

My best advice for you is to just purchase a WAP that you can put in bridge mode to just repeat the wireless signal.

Place it upstairs where it can get a good signal from SMCD3GNV device.

For recommendation on WAP check out This thread here and also http://www.smallnetbuilder.com for recommendations and reviews of what device is right for you.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Shockey, I went and picked up a router and just set up a new wireless network, everything works perfectly and the range is great. I picked up This model from best buy today, and after seeing how easy this was set up and how effective it already is, I may return this one and upgrade to a dual band one to see if I can get a bit more performance out of it.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Back