Need some advice on choosing a cheapish ink jet printer...

Canon

2[H]4U
I was asked a few months ago to choose a printer for my step mother. I personally own a Canon S520 and I previously owned a Canon BJC-250. I had no problems with the BJC-250 other than high ink costs. My S520 has been nothing short of awesome with quiet operation, fast printing speeds and great quality results...

Anyhow I reccomended the Canon Pixma IP 1500 because she was looking for the bottom end printers from Epson, HP, Canon etc. Most reviews said it was ok but the ink tanks were small (but they are very cheap to replace anyhow). She told me she wasn't going to do very much printing. I get a call the other day daying that the computer is saying the printer is jammed but there is no paper in it and it's making an aweful squeeling noise.

Long story short the printer is toast before the ink cartiges have even been used up once! A total piece of junk unfortunately.

I was thinking of reccomending the Canon Pixma IP 3000 this time. It takes the same ink tanks as my S520 (big black ink tank which is nice) and the ink is cheap. Do you guys think this would be a good reccomendation? Should I just get her to grab that (it's only $100 right now) and get an extended warrantee with it? My trust of ink jet printers is quickly going down the tube because it seems like they are incredibly cheaply made.

Ink jet printers ARE cheaply made. I'd go color laser myself, you can get some as low as $299 after rebates. And trust me, you'll make up the difference in cost after about ten sets of ink jet cartridges. Not to mention the higher quality, more durable print job.

If she doesn't want to do color, low-end lasers can be in the $100 - $150 range.

Back