Need some advice for a friend 27 inch high res non grainy ag.

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
Long story short I am trying to help a friend out with some information for a new rig he is going to get and I think his helper is going to need some help. Here is some background info.

He has one of those 27 inch mac that has the computer built into it, he loves to play swto mmo but his apple cannot keep up with it due to having a 5870 mobile video card and the resolution 2560-by-1440.

Hes going to get a gaming pc and hes going to sell his 27 apple and get an apple laptop, problem is he also wants to hook up the apple laptop to the monitor and I think they all come with the odd thunderbolt/dp combo.

I looked at several monitors and it has to be.
27 inches
aesthetically pleasant (apple ppl)
Does not have a grainy ag coating, he was pretty bummed when he found out the u2711 had an aggressive grainy textured ag coating.
Has to have comparable resolution to his old apple aka 2560x1440.

so far u2711 is out because it has grainy textured ag, hp 27 he doesen't like how it looks even thou it fits the bill, I would recommend that catleap monitor but I wont even bother because he will probably complain that it reeks poverty. I myself will probably get that catleap 2b thou if I can find one at the right price, prices have gone up through the roof on those. Thought about the apple 27 thunderbolt but I don't think it will run with an regular pc even with an adaptor.
Only other monitor I can think of is the Samsung S27A850d and only flaws I can think are poor contrast.

Do you guys have any other suggestions?

If he really likes the Apple display he has now, you can always get a regular Cinema Display (not the new Thunderbolt one). It uses mini-DP so any card with a mini-DisplayPort connector would drive it.

Honestly, an ACD is ideal for him. Otherwise, get a Catleap and stick an Apple sticker on it. People like that often can't tell the difference :D

Honestly, an ACD is ideal for him. Otherwise, get a Catleap and stick an Apple sticker on it. People like that often can't tell the difference :D

He lives a few states away from me now so he will be picking it up / ordering it himself. He would notice the catleap thou the minute the stands stand starts to wobble because the cheap plastic stand is overwhelmed by the monitor's weight.

About the apple cinema display isn't there an issue with some video cards? and if he goes nvidia there's a small chance it won't have a mini dp port, I could be wrong. There was also talk that if you used any adapter if your video card is not dp than it can get costly because not all adapters will work.

He lives a few states away from me now so he will be picking it up / ordering it himself. He would notice the catleap thou the minute the stands stand starts to wobble because the cheap plastic stand is overwhelmed by the monitor's weight.

About the apple cinema display isn't there an issue with some video cards? and if he goes nvidia there's a small chance it won't have a mini dp port, I could be wrong. There was also talk that if you used any adapter if your video card is not dp than it can get costly because not all adapters will work.

I was more being facetious, but to be honest, it sounds like he wants and ACD. I haven't bothered trying to find out how to make it work on a PC, specifically an NV card, but I'll do some homework on that. Honestly, there's no real substitute for the ACD, not in terms of visual quality, aesthetics, and build quality. You can meet it or beat it in some areas, but not all (without going over the $1k price of the ACD).

Man the 2b catleaps are ridiculous priced now. Some place finally got them and sold out, they sell now for $555.

Back