• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need socket 2011 HSF that meets a height restriction

The Lurker

Fully [H]
Joined
Jul 1, 2001
Messages
21,184
I am planning to upgrade my HTPC with a 5820k and I would like to re-use my Coolermaster evo tx3. This is the tallest tower HSF that fits in this case. In fact its tall enough where the end of the pipes contact the cover as it closes.

Coolermaster does not mention support for socket 2011 with this HSF. Is that accurate or are they just covering themselves because it may not be efficient enough to cool this processor?

If I cannot re-use the TX3, is my sole option the coolermaster gemini S524?
 
the first motive why the Hyper TX3 isn't compatible with S2011 boards is because have a Push-pin based plate, the S2011 boards have a integrated backplate that prevent the correct use of this kind of coolers. also I hardly Think that hyper TX3 will be able to cool correctly that 140W chip, the max I think is 95W for that cooler isn't a bad cooler but isn't the right cooler for a gargantuan i7 hexacore..

You will be better going with a Noctua NH-C14 or similar like the Silverstone NT-06PRO which have support for up to 150W chips with both fans used. and both meet your height restriction at 139mm and 140mm... the geminii S524 is a decent cooler but is 144mm tall, if you say you have issues with the hyper TX3 which is 140mm then you should look at that max height for any other cooler.
 
These seem like good options, though a bit on the pricey side.

But bare with me. This is the case that I have http://www.nmediapc.com/support2000.htm

If you look in the FAQ. The page states "CPU Heatsink height is <5.9"". This is equal to 149mm. The TX3 evo according to CM's website is 136mm and hits the top cover. I have reason to believe that CM's website is not including the protruding heat pipes above the fins in this measurement.

If the cases support page is accurate, and CM properly measured the Gemini I should be able to fit it, and if not with its stock fan than definitely with a slim fan.

Thoughts?
 
As much I as I dont want too go with water, is there an all in one cooler on the market with dual 80mm fans? Everything I am turning up seems to be 120mm.
 
well I can remember from the past some pre-historic CoolIT 92mm AIO but I think they do not exist anymore, magicool also had a very good OEM 80mm Radiator kit but also I think they do not produce it anymore..

The silverstone NT-01 PRO is decent and can support even some mild OC with a very good pair of 80mm Fans.. you can go with that cooler if you want but the NT-06 PRO will still be much much better..

You may also want to check the Scythe Big Shuriken 2. when speaking about low profile coolers my options are always NH-C14, NT-06 PRO and Big Shuriken 2 as the top performer and you may want a top cooler to keep your chip at good temps specially if you want to apply some reasonable overclock.
 
I think I will go with the NH-C14. Looking at more and more pictures of the NT-01 PRO and how its mounted I think it will create a clearance issue with the ram slots if I mount it facing toward the back. It may be 2011 compatible but I dont think it was designed for a board with 8 ram slots. The Noctua NH-C14 looks like it may have the same problem, but now they have an "S" version that has the heat pipes more vertical. It should clear the ram slots better.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top