Need smaller hard drives

Duck

[H]ard|Gawd
Guys,

I volunteer as the IT guy for a non-profit entity called Denton County Freinds of the Family. They provide services to victims of relationship violence and sexual assault free of charge. You can visit their website here: http://www.dcfof.com

All of their computer equipment has been donated and much of it is ancient. I currently have 10 computers with failed, missing, or failing hard drives.

If anybody has smaller drives sitting around collecting dust that they would be willing to donate I'd be very grateful. We need drives of any size really but no-smaller than 10GB and anything larger than 60 is probably a waste, but again we'll take almost anything. And although this plea is really just for the drives if you have other servicable parts we're always looking for donations.

If you think you can help please contact me at [email protected] or reply here. I'm happy to paypal you cash for shipping if needed.

Thanks in advance

**This message was pre-approved by Kyle Bennett

I might have some old drives lying around..

The newspaper office in my school has a crapload of old HDs. I think they might be like 5GB SCSI so I'm not sure if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer but hard drives smaller than 10GB aren't useable as they wont hold the software load with enough headroom leftover. Also they need to be IDE as none of these systems have SCSI cards.

But again thanks for the offer

No problem man, I'll check out what else they have. We have everything, powercables, old PSUs, some old RAM,etc.

I'll check out what the club has, since I'm the president haha.

Always happy to donate to a charitable cause.

You should contact larger companies like newegg / zipzoomfly or evern HD makers themselves with a proposal for a donation to the cause.

I am sure a company like Samsung / Maxtor / WD would be willing to donate some harddrives.......

MrGuvernment said:
I am sure a company like Samsung / Maxtor / WD would be willing to donate some harddrives.......
Unfortunately, I'm sure someone would find a way to scam them if it happened.

MrGuvernment said:
You should contact larger companies like newegg / zipzoomfly or evern HD makers themselves with a proposal for a donation to the cause.

Good idea, but since what we need are the smaller drives I figured I'd ask the [H]ard community first since we always seems to have this sort of thing lying around from old upgrades.

Hey Duck, if you want I can throw a few 40s into a flat rate box and ship them to you. You can paypal me say $10 and they are yours.

I'm still looking for more drives if anybody else has some lying around

I know you said nothing less then 10 gigs but if you could make due with 8gigs a good idea would be to post a message like this on ehte xbox-scene.net forums. People have tons and tons of original xbox hard drives (8gigs) that they would send to you. Had a friend throw away 6 drives about a month ago because just couldn't find any use for them. Unlocked and work perfectly in pcs.

just a suggestion as I know you said 10 gigs at the least.

thanks,

Basically the software load is Windows XP pro and Office 2k3. Plus some novell stuff and a few other small apps. My best estimate of the load size is around 7gb so even though it would fit on 8gb drives it wouldnt leave very much headroom at all for files, swapping, etc..

Thanks for the idea though!

You might want to try posting in the Distributed Computing forum here as well. They have a pretty good trade system and prolly people with a few spare parts lying around.

Duck said:
thanks,

Basically the software load is Windows XP pro and Office 2k3. Plus some novell stuff and a few other small apps. My best estimate of the load size is around 7gb so even though it would fit on 8gb drives it wouldnt leave very much headroom at all for files, swapping, etc..

Thanks for the idea though!

toss 2x 8g drives in one system split the installs of stuff on 2 drives - nbetter then nothing :D

Back