need simple local directory/drive sync software

nobody_here

[H]F Junkie
Basic windows environment, Windows 7 with a USB drive attached as backup.

I really don't want any drive imaging, I dont't care to backup my system, I just have a few directories that I add files to from day to day like my pictures folder and movies folder and would like a simple application that only monitors those directories for changes and simply puts a copy of any new files on the external hard drive on my pc also. It should be able to but not force you to have full mirroring, in otherwords, if i delete a file off the local directory that is already on the backup drive I don't want it to delete it off the backup drive for me. I will handle deletions manually. But any time a new file or directory get dropped into my monitored directories I want it to be backed up automatically.

Any suggestions?

Microsoft SyncToy works for my needs. It is simple enough to open the program, and press the sync button when needed. You could actually leave it open all the time as it is not very resource intensive.

robocopy <source> <destination> /E

that won't delete files at the destination that have been deleted from the source, though. So it doesn't synchronize.

Microsoft SyncToy works for my needs. It is simple enough to open the program, and press the sync button when needed. You could actually leave it open all the time as it is not very resource intensive.

I've been using SyncToy for a while now and it's worked great for me, also.

Back