Need Server based Filter/Spam Blocker

I don't know if this is the best subforum for this thread, but here goes.

I've got a small p2p network (12 users, 2 servers). The server controlling my email is NT4 Server with Exchange 5.5 and the clients are using Outlook 2000.

I need something that can block spam.. viruses, etc. I'm having a hard time finding one that will work with NT4. They all want 2000, and a server upgrade is just not in the cards right now. We just recently built a whole new database server. I can't use a *nix variant either. It has to work with NT4 and Exchange 5.5.

I would like it to be in the <= $300 range, but somewhere around there would be ok I guess.

Any recommendations?

Yeah, I appreciate the linke, but I skimmed through and all of the ones I checked required win2k. I have heard lots of good things about GFI, but again... win2k.

Any other ideas?

you have linux/bsd know how? If so, it is incredibly easy to build a postfix mail server that you frontend your real mail server with, so that incoming mail goes through the postfix box, gets scanned with spamassassin and then also gets scanned for viruses with Clam Antivirus

Astaro. It's a Nix based firewall with an SMTP and POP3 proxy that can do all of what you want.

I've used Free and Open. I can manage, but I'm definitely still novice. But like I said, they won't build another box. It HAS to be NT4 compliant.

Finding a suitable program is a hell of a lot harder than I expected it to be.

don't mean to cut in here, but i'm still very new to *nix as well. how well does this setup really work? as well as other expesive solutions. how are the faslse positive ratings? easy to setup and maintain?

well personally, I have my spamassassin settings farily low from the default score level (15...mine is only 3.5) but I have only seen a few false positives and they were mostly from freebsd mailing lists, people without dns names, etc. As for clamav, I have never had a single false positive, and I also have never had problems with its file extension blocking (IE .doc.bat or shit like that) so I really cannot complain about it, but if you are newere to *nix, it might take some playing with. it is a good learning experience though!

A VERY expensive but the ultimate solution is SPAM filters from Barracuda Networks They are hardware based PC spam firewalls and they do a helluva job, but look at spending $4000 for the basic models.

Back