Need serious help connecting tubes and...

cnick79

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
1,836
Issue 1:
Ok, I just got my swiftech MCW-50 and some tubing and quick connects. How do you connect the tubing to this thing? I bought 3/8" ID and 1/2" ID ClearFlex from Danger Den and both of them wont fit inside the block.

Issue 2:
Now here comes the good part. I was going to use these quick connects with the MCW-50. I couldn't figure out the heck they connect to eachother. So, what I did was, I took the long skinny stem and effortlessly placed it inside the block's connectors. I must of had this in wrong because I couldn't get it back out. So much for quick connects. After two hours of sawing and tugging away with my pliers I finally freed this mess. However, that dark grey part that comes inside the swifttech block had to of been cut, as well as my quick connect, and my finger, and the numerous scratches to the block. Is there any way to replace this small piece of plastic or do I have to buy another GPU block?

I am not happy. :mad:
 
Well I think I had the quick connect positioned the right way with the stem inside the block, however I did not use a tube insert that came with it and therefore it was stuck permanently.

Now, how do I go about getting that drak grey piece of plastic that comes already inside the gpu block? I would hate to have to purchase another block just for this piece.

Also, I'm still lost as to how to connect tubing to a quick connector.
 
I guess nobody uses quick connectors.

Anyways, I guess I'll keep talking to myself.

So I managed to rip out the quick connect from the gpu with the jaws of life. Now I see the purpose of those tube insert slips. Since one of the inlets is missing a collet? (that grey insert thing) I'm going to try to force the 3/8" ID tubing in there. It puts up a nice struggle trying to make it fit so hopefully it will be a nice tight seal. Once I try it out I will post it.
 
w00t my first post. ok dude seriosuly listen to me before you do any more damage. the swiftech push fits only accept certain types of tubing. it has to be 1/2" od 3/8" id NO BIGGER. tygon and clearflex are both a bit bigger. you need that exact size. if you want to use bigger tubing get these barbs. http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/1stto3tuid.html
they plug into the quick connects and are secure. then put your tubing on the barb and clamp it down.
please don't try to take the collets out or anything. you may just have to buy a new block
 
Thanks. I actually have two of them I bought. Unfortunately for me I stuck the quick connect in without those tube slips and therefore had to use the jaws of life on the one collet. I tried to salvage everything but the collet had a vice grip on the quick connect so I had to take it down like a rabbid dog.

The 3/8" ID clearflex has a 5/8" OD and the swifttechs inlet/outlet are 1/2" OD so I'm going to try to make the tube fit inside without the one collet. It should be a nice snug fit.

I'll probably end up buying a new block :mad: and fluid xp to play it safe.


Does anyone happen to have an extra collet for the swiftech block?
 
dude listen to me. your just gonna have to buy a new block. without a collet the quick connect will not work. did you ever think to push the quick connect collet down to release the tube? sounds like to me you didn't research how these things work. im not trying to be rude but damn dude. quick connects are strong due to the fact they grab the tubing on all sides. that is why you are supposed to use the hard inserts in the tubing if you USE THE CORRECT SIZE. just listen to me, without the collet the block is useless. just get another one. and please either use the correct tubing or get the barbs so you can adapt to new tubing. and as far as fluid xp+, sure it has low conductivity but its not completely non conductive.
 
I was never able to get any tubing connected. I had the quick connect in but because I never used that small plastic slip that drops in the collet I was never able to get the quick connect out. I tried everything. Anyways, the tubing I have now fits real tight inside the inlet without the collet. I had to use some force because the tubing is a little bigger than the inlet's 1/2" OD. If it doesn't work then no big deal, I'll just buy a new block. You're right, I should have investigated more on how it works and I wish swiftech had better instructions. I had no idea though when I was fooling around with it that I would have locked it up. Lesson learned and now it's time to proceed with the build.
 
I'm not quite sure what piece it is that you need.. but why not contact Swiftech and see if they an send you the piece before buying a whole new block?
 
zer0signal667 said:
I'm not quite sure what piece it is that you need.. but why not contact Swiftech and see if they an send you the piece before buying a whole new block?


Yea, good point. Should I call or email them. I don't think I'll tell them I had to saw and chisel the collet lose. Instead I'm going to have to reword it. They might ask for me to return it and I don't know if that will go well because you can tell it was hacked at. :eek:
 
Back
Top