Need serious advice on home networking rack.

next-Jin

Supreme [H]ardness
All,

I am finally going to move my HTPC setup into a central location and need advice on the buy list.

I need the following:

-Wall mountable rack
-Rack mountable server that can hold 8 hard drives
-Power distribution setup
-Gig Ethernet switch with 8+ ports
-Rack mountable UPS
-8 coax connection solution

My basement has a horrible OnQ panel with the cat5e punched into a splinter (why I have no idea, they didn't even use a hub/switch).

Power wise I had a electrician install a 4 outlet box near the spot I want to hang this from along with a 2 outlet box in the onq panel. It is ran to its own breaker in my circuit panel.

Preferred it to look very clean and professional, I am using this as a guide:

B003X117WO.pt02-large.jpg

Any help is appreciated because I am new to this and want it done right. You guys know what you're doing and I welcome lists or solutions.

#1 problem you are going to encounter:

The depth of almost any "pre-built" server.

The LARGE majority of wall mount racks can't handle full-depth servers, only half-depth. That being said, rackable and supermicro both make 2U and 3U servers that fit your bill. If you desire to go the DIY route, norco makes a few 2U, half-depth server cases.

#2 problem:

Weight of equipment

Many "cheaper" wall mount racks aren't up to the task of handling a server and a decent ups, along with the network setup. Make sure you know how much your equipment weighs before you go ordering a rack.

Last edited:
bds1904 hit the nails on the head
For power I would get one or more rackmount PDUs, preferabbly network equipment on one and everything else on the other. Easy to power-cycle a wonky network that way.
You may also want to consider attaching a piece of 3/4" plywood across 3 or more studs and attach the wall unit to the plywood to spread the load.

Hrmm I will chime in later on this topic as I have all my networking gear on a two post relay rack and it is amazing. And with the proper shelving layout it can support hundreds of pounds of servers.

Hrmm I will chime in later on this topic as I have all my networking gear on a two post relay rack and it is amazing. And with the proper shelving layout it can support hundreds of pounds of servers.

That's what I did. 4ft relay rack from monoprice, 4 rackable 2U servers, patch panel and 2 switches. BBU's on top of the servers. The rackable's support center mount too.

Downstairs I have a monoprice 4U wall mount bracket with a patch panel and a switch in it.

Works great.

Assuming I did not put the server in that box it would be a painless setup then? I didn't know about weight and depth.

I guess I could have a server up under the stairs right there and run some cat5 through the wall before I sheet rock all of this. I'll take a picture to better explain what I am looking at.

Took two,

IMG_20121031_054615.jpg

and

IMG_20121031_054545.jpg

The bottom left is going to be a small closet under the stairs, it already has a light installed.

A friend of mine did the server under the stairs. It's very hot under there and not comfortable to be sitting down working on a server/networking etc.

But it keeps it quiet and out of the way. Only have to go in there a couple times a year.

Make sure if it is all closed off that it does not get too hot under the stairs.

My server is in my second bedroom and if I keep it shut up it will get pretty hot in there, high than I would like but not hotter than is safe.

A friend of mine did the server under the stairs. It's very hot under there and not comfortable to be sitting down working on a server/networking etc.

But it keeps it quiet and out of the way. Only have to go in there a couple times a year.

Who works in the same room as a server? That is just plain silly. KVM over TCP/IP, IPMI, RDP, SSH, etc etc are all so you never have to have a keyboard and mouse plugged into a server. I would never want a server without something like IPMI. You can just plug the baremetal into your switch connect your workstation client to the server and boot it up remotely with an iso image from the workstation mounted remotely over IPMI to install the OS. Works like treat!

Who works in the same room as a server? That is just plain silly. KVM over TCP/IP, IPMI, RDP, SSH, etc etc are all so you never have to have a keyboard and mouse plugged into a server. I would never want a server without something like IPMI. You can just plug the baremetal into your switch connect your workstation client to the server and boot it up remotely with an iso image from the workstation mounted remotely over IPMI to install the OS. Works like treat!

Inevitably at some point though, you'll have to go and tinker with the actual box directly though...

If its under the stairs, it could be an idea to at least put in an extractor fan and duct to outside maybe, if possible, while the place is in that state.

Inevitably at some point though, you'll have to go and tinker with the actual box directly though...

Only if there is a hardware failure would i have to "tinker" with it. And then only to replace the broken part which most likely would mean pulling the box out of the cramp location. With IPMI you never have to use a monitor, keyboard or mouse with the physical machine.

Dell R210 is a half depth server it should work in this. Or build your self one from newegg them asus 1u half depth servers are NICE and quiet..

Make sure that rack you have is bolted to the studs with lag bolts too. ( all 4 to be lag bolts. top 2 being the securest. )

BTW that's a triplite rack, i have one like it but it's on wheels :)

edit, see that the first picture was just a idea pic.

Here is what i have, since you look to have a small opening you could probably do something like what i have. My cables go out the back bottom and are long enough so i can pull it out and work on it on all 4 sides.

DSCN0239.JPG

DSCN0211.JPG

DSCN0212.JPG

Back