Need security device to prevent ppl from un-plugging ethernet cable from wall jack

Mizugori

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there a kind of device out there that can physically prevent an unauthorized person from unplugging an ethernet cable from a jack in the wall (ie to plug in their own laptop and try to hack/access the network) ? I know you could restrict the jack to only be used by a certain MAC address but we are seeking a physical security measure. I found some products that can lock a jack when it's not in use, (they block the jack and need a key to remove the blocking device from the wall) but they all prevent the jack from being used - we need something that will allow us to have a cable plugged into the jack, and prevent or at least deter someone from trying to unplug it and plug in their own cable.

Thanks!!

what type of client device is supposed to be plugged into it? can the client device be put into a better/more secure physical location? if you're able to "lock up" one end of the cable, not much stopping someone from unplugging, or cutting/recrimping the other end.

the other end will be unreachable as it will go into a panel on the back of a machine which is locked so thats not an issue

Port Security or 802.1x authentication, physically trying to lock it down would be next to impossible and really not secure...those things can be broken and if someone does how are you going to know? If port security trips at least you know.

Ok so hold on a second..

zlash brings up a good point.. dot1x.. hmm spend the money on more hardware or utilize the hardware you already have.. whatever works

you're looking at this the wrong way and there are more issues at stake. its in a public area. sometimes kids screw around with things. this will help prevent them from yanking it out too.

http://www.rjlockdown.com/

These have worked great for me in public rooms at my building.

They are sold in pairs that comes with a set of 3/32 Allen and T10 Torx set screws. Allen for low security and Torx for high security.

Am I the only one who actually carries a set of Torx drivers in my laptop bag? Granted, it should stop most "tampering", but I don't think I'd really consider it "high security".

My answer was going to be "epoxy". =) Hmmm, it would be interesting to put some epoxy on the tip of the plug so that it bonds to the back of the jack. It should look totally normal, but just never come out. =)

Back