need router recommendation

Forealz

Limp Gawd
I'm shopping for a router for a local dentistry. I haven't shopped for a business router before and would like some recommendations. I'm looking for something that can do two wireless networks, one secure and another for guests. I'd also like some gateway firewall and antivirus security measures. I'm not sure what else I'd be looking for. Thanks

What's your budget? Are you looking for a UTM (Unified Threat Manager)?

I'd buy a Ubiquiti and run the production and guest through different VLANs going into an Untangle box. Firewall off the guest VLAN from your production traffic and use captive portal, everyone else passes through UT.

Budget is 1-500$, or more if necessary. I'm not sure if UTM is necessary.

Zyxel USG50 would be a good fit as well.

The Ubiquiti router is still a little bit beta. Untangle is great, but requires a dedicated machine.

Guys guys guys...

Use the right tools for the job.

I'd suggest a Cisco ISA550W as a one device does all.

WIthout support the other choices can become overly complicated.

My second runner up would be a Zyxel USG 50 and a Unifi Std.

But if it were me I'd just go for the ISA550W. It better fits with what you are trying to do.

The Fortigate fortinet FortiWiFi-20C is $360 and is not a bad device but is maxed out on a 20Mbps line

The Zyxel USG 50 does more with subscriptions costs around $500...If you don't enable IDS you can get equal performance to the Fortigate and you need to add a Unifi STD for $70 more to get the wireless features...but you do get more ability than the Forigate unit.
Fantastic VPN with a hi-availability option.

The Cisco ISA550W with subscription costs $460, for $576 you can get a 3 year subscription thrown in. The VPN is decent. The gui is sluggish, bootup time approaches 3 minutes but the device works and is reliable. Performance is class leadng.

Fortigate has the nicest GUI. And you're paying a lot for it.

Zyxel has the best VPN and can do some L3 routing.
Cisco's ISA line is the new kid on the block. Fast processor and a decent combination of features. Someone was doing their homework on this one.

Personally I think Zyxel needs to refresh their lineup with new models that have faster processors and slightly more RAM. The codebase is excellent but they are starting to show their age a bit.

We might be able to get away with just a wireless bridge honestly. Anyone know a good one that can separate networks as well?

meraki...

get a MX60 for the firewall and sit in on a webinar and get a free AP for your wireless...

Back