• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need replacement power supply under $100...

Dragon365

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 17, 2004
Messages
79
Hello,

Well, it seems I shouldn't have trusted my Rosewill RP-500 500 Watt power supply - it started failing yesterday, about 6 months after I bought it. The 3.3v line, which used to be normal, now hovers around 2.8-2.9v :eek:, and the 5v dropped a little too. Thus, it's new power supply time for me. I was looking at a couple replacements, and I wanted to see what the power supply gurus here thought of them.

Antec Smartpower 2.0 500 Watt (newegg)

Maddog Surepower 500watt (CompUSA)

I wasn't sure what the maddog power supplies were like - it looks like an Ultra X-Connect from the box picture. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open to suggestions. My system is an Athlon XP 3000 with 2 optical drives, 2 hard drives, and an XFX Geforce 6800. I'm using a PII 266 laptop right now, so help me get my box back up and running!
 
A Mad Dog looks nothing like an X-Connect. Looks more like an Antec NeoPower if you ask me.

They're made by Superflower.

The Antec is going to be an all around better unit. The Mad Dog cost more because you're paying a premium for the modular cables.

If you decide you want one of the Mad Dogs, let me know and I'll sell you mine. $25 + shipping. I need to raise funds to get more power supplies to review. ;)
 
Oh.. hey, I didn't see that. When I think of Antec and modular cables I automatically think of the Neo Power. ;) That's a pretty good price. I'd go with the Antec as well.
 
jonnyGURU said:
A Mad Dog looks nothing like an X-Connect. Looks more like an Antec NeoPower if you ask me.

They're made by Superflower.

The Antec is going to be an all around better unit. The Mad Dog cost more because you're paying a premium for the modular cables.

If you decide you want one of the Mad Dogs, let me know and I'll sell you mine. $25 + shipping. I need to raise funds to get more power supplies to review. ;)

I am sure you are kidding about selling that mad dog for 25 + shipping, but will do it is you are serious. :D
 
Yeah, I'm serious. 30 day DOA, no factory warranty (unit's been opened.) Just PM me an address so I can see how much UPS shipping is.
 
jonnyGURU said:
Yeah, I'm serious. 30 day DOA, no factory warranty (unit's been opened.) Just PM me an address so I can see how much UPS shipping is.

Oh...damn nice deal.
 
jonnyGURU said:
Yeah, I'm serious. 30 day DOA, no factory warranty (unit's been opened.) Just PM me an address so I can see how much UPS shipping is.

And it is one of the PSU's from the link up above?
 
Back
Top