Need recommendations for a 24-port switch

jnick

2[H]4U
I'm setting up the network for our newly obtained house. It will consist of a Ubiquiti EdgeRouterLite and a Ubiquiti UniFi for wireless. I plan to install network drops to the two main family rooms and the computer room. I will need around 18 drops so therefore, I'll go with a 24-port Gigabit switch for future expansion.

I have about $150 to spend on a switch. I was leaning towards the HP ProCurve 1410-24G. I figured a dumb switch should be fine?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

depends on if you want to do anything fancy with vlans... if not, no reason not to get a dumb switch...

also for home stuff, you can usually get really good used switches on ebay or other closeout places... i just recently got a 24 port gigabit poe L3 switch for $120 (actually like 10 of them) .... crazy prices... all gone now, but you get the idea

EDIT: actually they look back in stock now http://www.systime.com/product-p/net-nort-ref-al1001a06.htm little bit higher price...

keep in mind those got like 6 fans on them, so you might want to do some modifications... they're loud.... not insanely loud like a lot of 1U servers, but you'd definitely want it in a closet, otherwise look into modifying it with quieter fans... also big, very deep... but you can't get much more future proof than a 24 port gig poe switch w/ sfp slots

Last edited:
The HP 1410-24g is my go-to dumb switch. I have yet to have a single failure out of the 11 or 12 I have installed.

If you want to jump into vlans and other smart switch features, you will not find something new with 24-port for $150 or less.

I just got the TPLink SG1024 for $60 on sale a few weeks ago @ tiger. So far it's working great.

TRENDnet TEG-S24DG sometimes go on sale too

not sure if HP1410-24g have lifetime warranty

I had to use my lifetime warranty on my hp1810-24 and service was excellent

From my understanding, the 1410-24G does have the lifetime, which is what appealed to me. My dad also has the 1410-8G switch and it's been ROCK solid.

I was looking at the TP-Link as for $85 it's a GREAT value. I just don't know how it holds up performance and reliability wise.

Does the powerconnect 2824 have fans? Or is it a fanless design?

Cisco SG200-26. It's a little more than you want to spend but it's a great switch and worth the extra cost.

If you need just a basic, unmanahed switch, get a HP 1400/1410 series switch. If you want something L2 managed and silent, get a HP 1800/1810 series switch.

If you want advanced L3 features and interVLAN routing and don't mind fan noise, I'd get an off-brand switch off eBay. IE: 3COM, Nortel, Allied Telesyn, etc. I use a 48 port L3 3COM and 24 port Allied Telesyn switch, they are both gigabit and L3 and got each for under $150 on eBay. They are noisier, but in my situation I don't mind.

If you need just a basic, unmanahed switch, get a HP 1400/1410 series switch. If you want something L2 managed and silent, get a HP 1800/1810 series switch.

If you want advanced L3 features and interVLAN routing and don't mind fan noise, I'd get an off-brand switch off eBay. IE: 3COM, Nortel, Allied Telesyn, etc. I use a 48 port L3 3COM and 24 port Allied Telesyn switch, they are both gigabit and L3 and got each for under $150 on eBay. They are noisier, but in my situation I don't mind.

I've caught a bit of "the networking bug" myself and I was looking at this route, but bear in mind: power consumption is going up when you do. I've been wanting to build a cheap stack for redundancy but the cheaper, older, off brand that does everything is often going to pull something like 70 watts.

If neither noise or power are an issue I think it would be a great option, unfortunately it was a deal breaker for me.

I've caught a bit of "the networking bug" myself and I was looking at this route, but bear in mind: power consumption is going up when you do. I've been wanting to build a cheap stack for redundancy but the cheaper, older, off brand that does everything is often going to pull something like 70 watts.

If neither noise or power are an issue I think it would be a great option, unfortunately it was a deal breaker for me.

Yeah, the 24 port Allied Telesyn pulls about 45W with dual power supplies and the 3COM is around 40W or so.

I bought 2 1910 HP's, 24 port POE and Non-POE for $140 and $50 respective off Ebay.

Far more fruitful than the other choices.

When doing something like that, is there any warranty on it? I'm assuming there isn't?

Hrmm Netgear GS724T.. not expensive and is a smart switch with limited manageability.

I don't see why you would go for the GS724T over the Zyxel GS1910-24, please enlighten me....
//Danne

Hrmm Netgear GS724T.. not expensive and is a smart switch with limited manageability.

I sold the one that I had, these are good quality switches for the money, but their UI is IMO terrible. The management of it is just, its not all that you'd think. It really was clumsy feeling.

If you need to go this route, you'll get good throughput, but you'll wanna punch yourself if you gotta make a lot of changes on it for whatever reason, its a kludge.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm going I go with the HP 1810-24G. Great warranty and is managed. Figured if in revamping my entire network and since my router and AP can handle VLANs, the switch should too!

If you get that switch, try to find the v2 model. Lower power consumption and a little bit better performance. Easy to spot since it's physically smaller than the v1 model. We sell lots of those (recently transitioned from the v1s to v2) and have had very very few problems - and HP's warranty on them really is the best out there.

if you get those make sure you turn off ALL of the "auto," "vlan," "voice", etc. stuff because it causes a lot of shit to not work right. Once those are gone they work alright though the GUI is atrocious and really fucking slow.

You might want to check the newest revision for the GS724T. V4 got released and have some pretty interesting things considering the price.

Link : http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24358
Compared with GS716Tv2, GS724Tv3 and GS748Tv4, below are the new features for GS716Tv3/GS724Tv4/GS748Tv5.
- Two combo ports on GS716Tv2/GS724Tv3 are changed to 2 dedicated SFP ports.
- EAV (Ethernet Audio Video) feature is supported for both GS716Tv3/Gs724Tv4 and GS748Tv5.
- Multicast Vlan Registration
- Dynamic ARP Inspection
- Protocol based Vlan and MAC based Vlan
- MLD Snooping

GS716Tv3, GS724Tv4 and GS748Tv5 support IPv4 static routing, which can help build a L3 connection with other switches or routers. Up to 15 routing VLANs and up to 32 static routes are supported.

The dells are rock solid switches. I run a 2624 and 2608 on my home network.

Back