Need recommendation - Desktop gaming rig audio upgrade

Gussboy

Weaksauce
Looking to upgrade a 10 year old Logitech 5.1 speaker system. I use it for about 60% PC gaming 40% music. Budget is under $1,000.

Currently have:
Sound Blaster Z --> Logitech Z-680 5.1

Possible upgrades:
Option 1: Powered speakers 2.0 (ex. Audioengine A5+ pair) and add a sub

Option 2: Passive speakers (stereo or surround) + AVR

I am concerned about moving to a 2.1 stereo system for gaming since I have had a 5.1 system for so long now. My office configuration isn't suited to rear speakers however, and I am not sure how important it is to have a "center" channel speaker for my purposes here.

Also confused about the connectivity options, especially if I go the AVR route. Do I connect to the AVR via HDMI from my Nvidia 680 video card or use the Sound Blaster Z?

Looking to upgrade a 10 year old Logitech 5.1 speaker system. I use it for about 60% PC gaming 40% music. Budget is under $1,000.

Currently have:
Sound Blaster Z --> Logitech Z-680 5.1

Possible upgrades:
Option 1: Powered speakers 2.0 (ex. Audioengine A5+ pair) and add a sub

Option 2: Passive speakers (stereo or surround) + AVR

I am concerned about moving to a 2.1 stereo system for gaming since I have had a 5.1 system for so long now. My office configuration isn't suited to rear speakers however, and I am not sure how important it is to have a "center" channel speaker for my purposes here.

Also confused about the connectivity options, especially if I go the AVR route. Do I connect to the AVR via HDMI from my Nvidia 680 video card or use the Sound Blaster Z?

Routing a HDMI to your card is the easiest way to do it. It will take care of audio and video when routed to a receiver. Multichannel PCM should light up and you should be good to go.

Regarding the first option I would go with this, don't bother with a sub I doubt you will need it !
JBL LSR308 $199 each
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR308/

With Option 2, powered speakers + sub, will I need to connect as follows to be able to control sub crossover and levels?

Sound Blaster Z -> sub --> Audio Engine A5+

I know the A5+ has RCA output for a sub, but I have read others complaining about not being able to control what the crossover point is for lows going to the sub with most powered desktop speakers.

With either option depending on what you choose and your personal preferences you may or may not actually need a subwoofer.

for the powered speaker option ... I might suggest a trip to a music store (guitar center or whatever) and listen to some powered monitors ...

I just saw these on Amazon @ $99 ea they are a rather screaming deal (generally $180~ ea) but blah blah Tannoy Reveal 501a

http://www.amazon.com/Tannoy-Reveal...d=1386032888&sr=8-50&keywords=STUDIO+MONITORS

the Mackie MR5 for $129 on sweetwater was pretty nice also

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...zmap=MR5mk3&zmac=2&zmas=1&zmam=89202644&SID=0

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
With powered desktop speakers, how important is it that it has an RCA output for a sub? Is it common to connect the source to the sub first and then use the line level output of the sub to connect to the powered speaker pair?

How else would I connect a sub from my PC and the Sound Blaster card?

Also, yes I will prefer a sub with any configuration as I listen to alot of bass heavy music as well as wanted extra low end on my action games.

Can someone enlighten me as to the optimal Desktop speaker connectivity for these components:

1) Sound Blaster --> Audioengine A5+ --> Sub

OR

2) Sound Blaster --> Sub --> Audioengine A5+

It has been suggested to me that if the sub (ex. SVS SB1000) has a high pass filter output, then you should route your audio source through the sub first and then out to the powered speakers. I have been told that "Option 2" above allows for the bass gain level to be fixed and the high pass filter at 80 Hz to be used. Thus you would control the overall volume level via Windows rather than via the volume knobs on either the sub or the A5.

Does this make sense?

Can someone enlighten me as to the optimal Desktop speaker connectivity for these components:

1) Sound Blaster --> Audioengine A5+ --> Sub

OR

2) Sound Blaster --> Sub --> Audioengine A5+

It has been suggested to me that if the sub (ex. SVS SB1000) has a high pass filter output, then you should route your audio source through the sub first and then out to the powered speakers. I have been told that "Option 2" above allows for the bass gain level to be fixed and the high pass filter at 80 Hz to be used. Thus you would control the overall volume level via Windows rather than via the volume knobs on either the sub or the A5.

Does this make sense?

It seems you have already made up your mind before you even started this thread :eek:
I'll try to answer some of these questions. It seems you've been reading other forums

Q: "It has been suggested to me that if the sub (ex. SVS SB1000) has a high pass filter output, then you should route your audio source through the sub first and then out to the powered speakers"

A: Yes and No, the placement of your sub or monitor in the chain is dependent on which device has the high pass filter. low pass filter, or crossover. Which means it can go either way, the monitor sits before the sub in the audio chain or vise versa.

Q: "I have been told that "Option 2" above allows for the bass gain level to be fixed and the high pass filter at 80 Hz to be used."

A: It's depends what your definition of fixed is. If you mean, don't manually raise the gain on back of the sub, then yeah its fixed. The only way you're going to control the sub on your desktop separately is if a device were to be placed in the front of the chain and has two outs. One being for your monitor and one being for your sub. The KRK 12SHO has something like this. Another alternative is to buy a cheap small channel USB or non USB mixer and route one channel for your monitor and route your sub through AUX send or channel 2 . Having said that,the gain will be fixed regardless.

Whatever you decide to purchase as a sub look for one that has a variable crossover and that cutoff can effectively be used on the sub's outs.

I have to ask, is there any reason why you have a hard on for Audioengine?

EDIT: oh look christmas colors lol

Last edited:
Audioengine powered speakers were just an example. I am completely open and am hoping for other alternatives to be suggested in about the same price range. I have just read alot of glowing reviews about the A2+ and A5+ speakers as they relate to an all around desktop gaming/music setup.

I like the SVS SB1000 sub, which features a high pass filter output that could connect to the monitors, but I am not exactly in love with the $500 price tag on it.

That's up to you and your preference on what type of bass you want. Personally I like a sealed enclosure for home use. Just start researching on which subs have a variable crossover with an output.( or vise versa with the monitor)

Back