Need Rapid Deployment Software.

abudhu

[H]ard|Gawd
I am in need of some a Rapid Deployment System / Software for a small network. Here is my situation:

There is small office room with about 6 PC's (All are the same model and make). They are networked and share a similar image. However, since these are public PC's they eventually pick up a virus or two. I originally put DeepFreeze onto the computers but that was met will 1) stupidity on part of the users and 2) massive complaints when users had to keep installing a game, software, updates, drivers.

So, to solve this problem I figured, I will simply re-Ghost them down to a base image and freeze them again. However, this time, if anyone wants an update, I can simply use a rapid deployment system and put the update on without having anyone complain about deepfreeze removing _____ program. They Want AIM, Adobe, a Game? I can easily deploy it to all of the computers over the network. Why not just update the ghost image? That takes a lot of work, and then the image must be put onto all of them again. I figure with a Rapid Deployment System / Software, I can avoid having to constantly update a XX GB Image and waste resources.

Furthermore, I would also like to be able to instead sit at home and be able deploy whatever updates and software are needed instead of having to go over to the house and do it there. So a WAN / Internet method of deployment would be helpful.

So, what I am looking for is a CHEAP (We are college students) (preferably opensource because its free) Rapid Deployment software / system that I can implement from the location or from the comfort of my house.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter. I am looking to get this set up by the start of the coming school year Fall 2006.

What OS? If you are on a win2k/2003 domain you can use Group Policy to run installs at either boot up or user logon. For software updates the only thing I've used is Microsoft SMS, which isn't free, sorry.

Wow, totally overlooked that, sorry:

Dedicated Server: Win XP Enterprise Edition (Gotta love the School MSDN Accounts).

*Friendly Bump*
I found a software called Prism Deploy which is along the lines of what I need. But I am still searching, any help would be greatly appreciated. Even a reply that directs me in a total opposite direction of accomplishing my goal would be welcomed.

Back