Need quiet cooler

insane

Weaksauce
I just built my current rig (in sig) and I want to overclock my x4 955 BE to 3.5ghz while keeping dba below 40c. Can you guys recommend me a cooler that cost less than $100 dollars that will accomplish this?

Noctua NH-D14 will probably do the trick. Or try the Prolimatch Genesis, since your budget is up to $100.

If you want to save as much money as possible, a Hyper 212+ or Corsair A70 will do just fine.

They can get loud, but that highly depends on the amount of load you put on it. Since you're not really overclocking that far (only .3 ghz above stock), I doubt you will hear the 212+ get loud. Fans can always be replaced.

They can get loud, but that highly depends on the amount of load you put on it. Since you're not really overclocking that far (only .3 ghz above stock), I doubt you will hear the 212+ get loud. Fans can always be replaced.

Well its unlocked also, That puts out a bit of heat. Get the 212+ and replace the fans with some yate loons or another breed of good quiet fans. that's a cheap cool route.

I just found out a cooler that might suite my needs.

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/053/scnj3000-detail.html

Anybody want to comment about this cooler?

The Ninja 3 IS perfectly suited for fanless operation, ( just for an example: i5-2500k @ stock and running Prime95 in this rig) - I'm sure that it will keep the 955 BE at reasonable temperatures, and also has a PWM fan. ;)

Another very interesting test was mentioned over at XS (LINK), "certified" for 220W !

Like anything that's good, it has a drawback: mounting it is PITA. It will fit in your HAF922, but you must take the mobo out, thanks to Scythe engineers . :D

I think I'll take your advice and go with the CM 212+. I'll so some further research on that cooler and see what fans I can replace it with.

I looked at the yate loon fan. The price is really cheap which is always nice. I'll check out alternative fans such as Scythe Gentle Typhoon and see how the DBA and CFM stack up.

thanks for the help guys

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think I'll take your advice and go with the CM 212+. I'll so some further research on that cooler and see what fans I can replace it with.

I looked at the yate loon fan. The price is really cheap which is always nice. I'll check out alternative fans such as Scythe Gentle Typhoon and see how the DBA and CFM stack up.

thanks for the help guys

Yate loon is a great brand i have a few, good db vs. cfm.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have used both GTs and Yates and honestly i Sold my GTs to a Friend for more Yates. I have 10 Yates in Push/Pull on all my RADs (120.2 and 120.3) and they are the Bee's Knee's :D

i replaced the stock fan on my hyper 212+ (it was fine idle / low loads..but quite loud full out) with a GELID Silent 12 PWM fan couldn't be happier temps about the same as with stock fan but noise way down

paid $19 for the hyper 212+ (sale @ fry's) and $9.99 for the Silent 12 (newegg..currently out of stock)

for $30 round about it is a pretty decent solution for me (load temps 60,59,60,60 on i5-750 @3.3 w/ turbo on)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426015

i was so happy with this fan

I just bought 2x silent 12 case fans (to replace intake/exhaust 120's on my gigabyte triton 180 and I bought a silent 8 to replace the stock 92mm fan on my dynatron K987 which cools my home server's cpu.

i'm pretty impressed w/ GELID's products for the price (nice rubber mounts and sleeved cables for $8 for the 120 case fans / $9 for the 80MM PWM fan and $10~ for the PWM 120. only down side is no screw included if your application doesn't work with the mounts and now 4 pin (molex) adapters included ... meh neither of these issues impacted me but be aware.

Thermalright Silver Arrow or Archon both ship with TY-140 fans which are near silent at low-load, and still very tolerably quiet when they spin up. Both are cooling monsters as well.

N-DH14 is another great fan, the Noctua fans they ship with do get louder than the TY-140s at full blast, but push a bit more air. Just a tradeoff.

I went with the Archon, and other than Prime95/Linx/OCCT stress testing, I never even hear the CPU fan running.

i'm sure you can hit 4ghz with that kind of cooling. i'm running a zalman cnps10x performa and running 3.84ghz, 50c under load

Back