• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need quick advice: Mp3 player

drizzt81

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
12,361
Hiho,

my GF wants to get an mp3 player ASAP, i.e. either tonight or tomorrow, since she wants it for the weekend. Anyway, should we go with an iPod Nano or a Creative Zen or something else?

She wants to have some screen to see the tracks she has on it. Mostly she will be using it for livesets, i.e. ~100MB files that are about an hour long, which are in mp3 format. She may want to FFW a bit here and there, if possible, it'd be nice to use .cue files with it, but that would be a 'nice' feature, not a needed.

Anyway, what do you guys recommend? Looking to spend as little as possible. I should be able to get the student discount (10% iirc?) from Apple.
 
The nano is a very slick little player, but for a little more money, you can get the larger ipod with 30gb (better value if size doesn't matter). I'm not too sure about the zen competition, but the nano has a very easy to use interface, easy to use itunes, and a nice bright color screen. It is also insanely small.
 
For what it is worth I find the iPod interface to be less of a PITA.

The Zen is a nice device but compared to the iPod, it doesn't hold up nearly as well, especially for first time users.

And you know if I am supporting an Apple product it must be ok. ;)
 
ok thanks for that feedback guys. I guess we will be going to apple tonight. I just figured I'd ask if there was competition that was better and cheaper...

ps.: thanks for moving it mods. I really was not sure where to post it :)
 
Back
Top