Need PSU Suggestions

ghoster

n00b
My old computer's power supply died. I always hear "don't skimp on the power supply" but at the same time this is a really old computer and I don't want to spend a whole lot on a replacement (I'd like to spend as little as possible but not if it's going to end up like my current one). For the record this (420W version) is the dead PSU that worked fine since 2004. What are my options?

Hardware:
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2 x 512MB PC3200 Memory
Chaintech GeForce 6600GT
1 x HDD
2 x Optical Drives
Floppy Drive
2 x 120mm Case Fans
1 x 90mm CPU Fan

Thanks!

Last edited:
Not sure what you're looking to spend, but the Antec VP-450 can be had for $35 + $4 shipping on Newegg, I've used it in a couple of family members builds. It gets good reviews and has run their systems fine.

You can pick up a decent OCZ or thermaltake 500watt PSU pretty cheap. I have used both brands and never had any issues.

The Antec sounds like a solid power supply for the money based on the review from Hardware Secrets

Thanks I will probably go with that Antec power supply. Are there any PSUs worth looking at in the $15-$25 range?

Go with the antec you cant go wrong with the price as well as the reviews. The extra couple of dollars will be well worth it in the longer run even though your computer has had a long run already.

Back