Thermalright AXP-140
Kingston 4GB ECC DDR3 1333
Intel X25-M G2 120GB
2x IBM M1015
8x Hitachi 5K3000 2TB
8x Seagate ST4000DM000 4TB
Antec 1200
CP-850

to a Lian Li PC8000, atm i have 16hdd, and will be adding 4x more Samsung 1.5tb when i move to the new case, for a total of 20hdds. My plan is to add before years end, at least another 4x hdd on 5.25 hdds with a 4 in 3 cage, and probably mod the case in time for another 16hdd, for a total of 40.

Atm i have CP-850 PSU, that has dual 12V rails that i peronsally dont wish to track into what i have on each rail, its not standard ATX (so wont fit the lian li without some modding, but dont feel it worth it as the PSU was discontinued), this psu is also 80+, but im looking for something efficient in platinum rating.

Checking a thread, The Power Supply Thread

3. 2 amps (24 watts) per green drive and 3 amps (36 watts) per non-green drive on the 12 volt rail.
4. 5 amps (60 watts) for the motherboard on the 12 volt rail.
So if that is correct... 40 green hdds will need 40x2 = 80amps or 24x40 = 960W, so im looking into 1k W PSU. I was thinking on either,

Seasonic PLATINUM-1000 ATX 1000 Power Supply
or
Kingwin LZP-1000 Lazer Platinum Series.

Still open to suggestions,

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Both are good PSUs,

for 40 HDs you should stagger spinup, or if you want to startup all at once you might need to have an electrician wire a 240v outlet for you, pulling 1000w on a standard house 110v outlet was not what most house outlets were designed for.

Chances are it might trip the breaker on every startup, especially if is not a dedicated outlet.

But in any case, for optimal performance you might need to rewire the PSU yourself, so that when you turn it on the wires don't melt.

@OP

Your case looks like it supports 2 PSUs. It might be better for you to get 2 PSUs and hook them together so that when one turns on, the other does too. This way, you aren't putting too much load on a single PSU and you don't have to worry too much about getting a 240V outlet (if you are able to connect the PSUs to separate loops).

pulling 1000w on a standard house 110v outlet was not what most house outlets were designed for.

Are you talking about US wiring? Because I don't know where you are getting that from. There are plenty of 110-120V appliances that use 1500W and work fine in all the homes I've tried them in (and that is more than a few)

Are you talking about US wiring? Because I don't know where you are getting that from. There are plenty of 110-120V appliances that use 1500W and work fine in all the homes I've tried them in (and that is more than a few)

I sure am.

Mid to older homes use a standard 15 amp breaker for their 120v wiring. This will allow a maximum pull of ~1700 watts.

New homes might use 20 amp breakers for their 120v, a maximum pull of 2400 watts.

The only issue is that typically you are not running one single outlet from one breaker.

Except in the case of the microwave and kitchen, which I assume you are referring to when you say "plenty of appliances." You typically run one 20amp breaker dedicated for the microwave when you do a kitchen run, and a 240v for a stove, and another dedicated 20amp for the rest of the kitchen outlets, that is so you do not trip breakers when you turn on all these high power appliances.

For the rest of the house, offices, basements, etc. the ratio of outlets to breakers can be anywhere from 2-12 depending on how the electrician was feeling, or how best to connect the rooms, or if he used 15amp or 20amp.

So you may have a brand new home with a shiny new 20amp breaker, but that one 2400watt max breaker is running a typical 7 outlets. So yes, if you are running just one PC on that 20amp breaker it would work just fine. But chances are that most people have other things plugged in to the breaker and those 12 other outlets taking up that 2400watt max. And that's not even taking into account voltage drop.

Yep, 15A breaker you might be pushing it.. 20A with the correct wiring will probably be ok as long as too much other stuff is not pulling from the same breaker.

My house is "older" and still has a fuse box for the main box inside the house.

Even after rewiring with 20A capable wiring with each room on it's own circuit, and separating the main room lighting onto it's own circuit, we would still blow the fuse every once in a while. I ended up installing one of those fuse replacement breakers with a 20A rating. I have still popped it every once in a while when we have too much stuff plugged in at the same time, but not near as much as before.

Back