Need powerful wireless router ASAP

Iconz

Gawd
I searched for an existing thread to no avail. We have 15/2 Mbps roadrunner at the home, which obviously performs brilliantly when cable connected to my Linksys wireless-b router and my desktop pc(11.8/1.8). However, we have 2 laptops that we typically use downstairs in the living room( 40 ft away, plus walls). I'm getting around 2-4 Mbps down on the laptops, which both have b/g compatible built-in cards. I think I need a new router that can carry a stronger signal from that distance, and that is g compatible. I'd like to get it right away, but I'm not sure which one to go with. I'd like to stay away from a pre-n router, since I don't have a pre-n card in either computer, unless this is the only way to get what I'm looking for.

Your advice is appreciated.

Assuming the laptops have the standard Intel 2200BG or similar integrated in there, even @54mbps, they will benefit greatly from the extended range a MIMO/Pre-N router will provide. That way you could actually approach the full 15mbps over wireless when close to the router, as 11b hardware rarely made it above 6 or 7mbps with limited range, iirc. The Pre-N/MIMO will work perfectly with g hardware, though I recommend you do not mix b hardware into the network.

Get the new Netgear G, New model of the Rangemax but G Speed's, also grap the G Card, will be nice

Back