Need portable workstation suggestions

tikicult

[H]ard|Gawd
I am a civil engineer who works with a hydraulic modeling software called Infoworks. The model runs take a long time to process. Currently, I have one model that takes 1.25 hours to run on my current desktop. My bosses have finally come to the realization that I need a faster computer to handle this software. Some benchmarking done today shows that a model that takes 32 mins to run on my 3.4 P4 takes 14 mins to run on a C2D 6400. I have been asked to spec a laptop that is beefy enough to do these model runs. A laptop is necessary because I will need to be able to take the models to out of town meetings.

I am looking for a recommendation on a beefy system. I was initially looking at a Dell Precision M90 notebook, but I was not impressed with the price for what you get. ($3200 for a T7600). I then thought that I should look for a custom notebook that can accept a desktop processor so that I could get the fastest processor possible. So, I am now considering a Hypersonic Aviator EQ7 with a QX6800. This comes out to $3700 and I get RAID 5 too for my data.

I have no need for any semblance of battery life, nor do I care about weight. This computer will be used at a desk 95% of the time. All I need is a fast processor and 2 GB of ram. I don't even need a fancy video card, so the 7950 in the Aviator is overkill. But that cannot be changed, so it doesn't matter.

Any other brands or models I should be considering? I just need something to show my bosses as they realize that it is better to buy an expensive computer than it is to pay me to sit around while I wait for the model to finish running.

......I just need something to show my bosses as they realize that it is better to buy an expensive computer than it is to pay me to sit around while I wait for the model to finish running.

You could get paid to sit around, or get paid to sift through Hardforums and play onslaught. Or you can do like John did, and play TQ at work while the models run.

look at the outlet and you really dont need a latitude. the inspiron series is the same minus the 600 name hike

Back